Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Know Nothing
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an idea but I've got an old 88 fz750 and the fairings are shot. I've been thinking about fabricating my own fairings but out of sheet metal. It might sound crazy but I think the finished product would look sweet.
Im thinking about placing sheets of 1/16th in metal in the openings of the frame. As for where the engine is i'd take the metal out two in brake it and then trim it to just where the clutch cover is. Finishing it off with a army green. I guess my question is if something like this has been done before or if theres any issues I'm going to see later down the road. Im also open to any other suggestions as what to with the bike. I just got it running and now i want to make it look good. I'm just trying to cover up some of the innnards of the bike as well as the engine. Trying to fix her up enough to get her outaa the garage and onto new projects

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
it is possible, just not practical

if you are bored and you want to show off some metal working skill it would be a good thing to do. There are two red flags for me when it comes to practicality They fact that metal is pretty rigid (especially when metal worked) so it will crack apart and tear over time from the vibration and the flexing. The other problem is the weight, you will end up with a very heavy and akward peice compared to what you can get with fiberglass with about the same amount of work. Lots of vintage cafe bikes have polished alloy quarter fairings because something that small is practical.

so really its a matter of what you want/expect out of it.

good luck

·
2,779 Posts
:thumbsup: ....... &, off course, Mr.Horho did do a full fairing on cruel III

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
cant remember the name of the builder or the bike. but that bobber 929 with front fairing and fork shrouds all in one piece, he did a really nice job on it. won fighter of the month even.

he was also building a different 929 with more fairing and alot more drastic but didnt finish it.... wish i can remember the builders name

1 - 6 of 6 Posts