Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is something ive been planning for awhile now and since I just started to get into it I figured why not just put it here. My bike stock has an LCD fuel gauge on the tank. I had a yamaha vxr pro that I parted out and kept the lcd gauge from it in hopes to use it somehow. Recently I gutted it and started figuring out the pinout for the gauge but there is still a lot to do to get it working.

It was a tach/fuel gauge/ warning light. Im trying to decide what exactly I want to use it for, The fuel gauge will be that but the tach portion may end up being my speedo or tach but thats easy enough to change later. If its my speedo then the warning light will be a shift light for me and ill probably build a smaller lcd tach or just a color bar thats easily visible.

I snapped a pic of the lcd next to my phone last night but looking at it this morning i noticed it was out of view(oops) so ill snap another date pic. The first 3 pics are from last night but the last pic is an older one before i cut it out of the housing...

Attachments

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a little better pick of my phone next to the lcd for the date. I was talking to a guy at work and he mentioned he hacked the code for his droid or something and that if I had one I could use it as my gauge via bluetooth. I thought that was a pretty cool idea but not worth me buying a droid and all the associated hardware to make that kind of setup work.

This lcd panel is a little wider than my stock unit but i think it will work out just fine. I also took a scan of it so I can peel the sticker off the back and have my buddy make me one with mph and speed increments on it or whatever I decide. The only downside to using this as a speedo is I dont have an odometer. Im still not sure which direction I want to go with it but im considering all options.

Attachments

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A buddy at work brought me in one of his Arduino boards to play with for awhile. Im going to start with some simple lcd control routines and see how that goes. I also decided on 24 leds. I started to model the layout so maybe ill have some renders soon. Just cause i know everyone loves pics here are some of the parts.

Attachments

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did a little playing around with the layout tonight. overall height is 1.5" and width is 3.25". Since the unit only displays 8 characters, 3 digits a space and mph, i will also need a button in the housing so i can view the odo. Im also thinking about buttons to display other things but i still have some figuring to do on that. The leds will light up every 500 rpm so thats 12000. My stock redline is at 10,500 which is where the first red led is.

Attachments

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Playing around with another idea. Two rows of 12 leds that light up together. Might have a little more visual impact. I drew a rough size representing the arduino im playing with. Im having some issues with the bootloader on this one but i have my own coming with the newer chip(atmega 328 as opposed to the 168). I feel bad about borrowing electronics for development :D plus they are only $20-$30 bucks.

Here is a quick shot of the different led layout. I like having an arc up and around the lcd but that layout doesnt really fit with the rest of the package. Who knows if i will even use this lcd so only time will tell. Also that big grey block on the left is the USB-B connector thats on the arduino board.

Attachments

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started playing around with the arduino today and controlling leds in an array. Nothing special but i took a few vids of the array im playing with.

[ame=http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/GPz750/LCD%20gauge/?action=view&current=P4110002.flv]
[/ame]

[ame=http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/GPz750/LCD%20gauge/?action=view&current=P4110003.flv]
[/ame]

[ame=http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/GPz750/LCD%20gauge/?action=view&current=P4110004.flv]
[/ame]

I have a slight issue though. Because of the number of pins needed to drive the lcd, to drive the number of leds i want to use im going to have to use digital output with pwm and send that to 2 different lm3914 chips(10 outputs each). I need 7 pins for the lcd so that would only let me drive 7 different segments of leds which aint gonna cut it:) Thats equal to whats in the vids above. So i could use a single chip and light 20 leds, or do two chips and light 40leds!!!

I still have a lot more learning to do first before i make it that far. Im hoping to do some more playing around with the leds tonight and maybe get to the lcd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts