Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used Shinko Slicks on their street ridden bikes?
I'm under the belief that the rubber is the same as their street/drag tires....so that heat cycling won't be an issue? The bike won't get close to a wet road, but Northern Indiana streets are far from racetrack smooth... Waiting on a non o-ring chain to gain a bit of side clearance and save a horsepower or two....as well as some aluminum air valves that are in the mail somewhere...

·
Registered
370 Posts
FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE!!!

From time to time (its easy for me to change rims out so I keep a set with slicks for the track a set of soft dot's for running with the boys and a set oh hard's for everyday) I do run my Dunlop slicks on the street. I did it the last time I took out H-18 on the street.

As for tires the Shinkos are the biggest joke in the world of racing slick tires (at least the ones they make for the track) As I have run a pair. the outcome was horrible grip (way less then a race DOT tire) the way the rubber would wear is scarey! I looked at it tire when I pulled in from time to time and it looked like an eraser head x 10, I was waiting for the thing to "chunk" on me.

So if you want to run slicks that's fine, Just not dem.

Jay

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for tires the Shinkos are the biggest joke in the world of racing slick tires (at least the ones they make for the track) As I have run a pair. the outcome was horrible grip (way less then a race DOT tire) the way the rubber would wear is scarey! I looked at it tire when I pulled in from time to time and it looked like an eraser head x 10, I was waiting for the thing to "chunk" on me.

So if you want to run slicks that's fine, Just not dem.

Jay
I don't plan on using them on the track as you used your Shinko's. And I'm guessing a Ducati would put more stress on a tire than a 250 pound 250 two stroke. It takes quite a bit more time to get heat generated into a tire on a 250 than a heavier, higher horsepower bike. Since most tires are designed for those types of bikes, I figured the Shinko's would never chunk or wear as bad as on other bikes. And if they don't stick as good as some other tire....I'm sure they will stick better than the 15 year old tires that are on it right now. And if they do fall apart I'm only out $200.....and I will then know first hand. just as you had to learn, But thanks for the warning though...

·
Registered
299 Posts
First hand experience?
Ran slicks on my trans am once, never again. I ran slicks at a trackday and I would never think of doing it on the road.

Reasons why not

Illegal
Insurance might not cover you in a wreck. (I asked mine and they wouldn't if it could be proven the tire helped create the wreck.)
No mileage
Gravel, sand, water, oil, all destroy any traction.

I mean really if you're riding past the limits of street tires on the street then you might want to check into some life insurance.

Edit: I don't mean to put anyone out and be a bummer and I'm sure people here have had good experience with slicks on the street but I'd say the same thing to my brother. It's not a good idea..

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't plan on using them on the track as you used your Shinko's. And I'm guessing a Ducati would put more stress on a tire than a 250 pound 250 two stroke. It takes quite a bit more time to get heat generated into a tire on a 250 than a heavier, higher horsepower bike. Since most tires are designed for those types of bikes, I figured the Shinko's would never chunk or wear as bad as on other bikes. And if they don't stick as good as some other tire....I'm sure they will stick better than the 15 year old tires that are on it right now. And if they do fall apart I'm only out $200.....and I will then know first hand. just as you had to learn, But thanks for the warning though...
busa1300, I hear what you are saying, And I also saw the 250 in the back round of the pic along with the size of the tires. (250) (just a .2 sec history about me, street bikes, on and off track.) I spent my first two years of M/C riding on a CBR600F3 trying to stay in the road and keep up with the average Joe fast guy. I learned how to save a LOT of stupid mistakes. (40k mi later) Yr 3 of riding, I go to Laguna Secca and had my first GP experience Aprilia let me lap one of there Aprilia 250 cup bikes around. (cork screw didn't give me time to feel the fear till I was passed it.) So in 99 we enter the Aprilia Cup Challenge at ATL. we were told to use tire warmers we did not. We went out in 7th using Dunlop sportmax 2's (rider error). So now we are officially hooked into racing except track time is expensive so we start using what we have access to. (and we scamed our way to getting our race only 250 a legal license plate) So now we are doing tire testing and set on our everyday rides with 45min + no stops very slow warm ups for the rider and the bike. eventuality we get in a set of shinstankos. By this time we have our own tire wholesaler and tire changer. We are going through tires like teenagers go through condoms on prom night. So we get this killer deal on the Shinstankos slicks (our first slicks) and we run the on the road with a number of different recommend tire pressures always warming them up slow slow slow. (we asked around wondering why they were so cheep and they (other racers) to us what im telling you) THEY ARE THE SHITTYEST TIRE MONEY CAN BUY. they have no grip and no feel and wear out fast.)
Now I dont blame you for wanting a 2nt opinion so i encruge you to go to a race forum bord and put out a thread asking about them... they will say the same thing I am telling you. In fact just a few months ago on one of the boards I saw a guy say that he had Shinstinko want to sponsor him with free tires and he said no because they are such shit. and he was a middle of the pack local club racer. (with there is nothing wrong with lol)

let me know how your inquires go.

Jay

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
Ran slicks on my trans am once, never again. I ran slicks at a trackday and I would never think of doing it on the road.

Reasons why not

Illegal
Insurance might not cover you in a wreck. (I asked mine and they wouldn't if it could be proven the tire helped create the wreck.)
No mileage
Gravel, sand, water, oil, all destroy any traction.

I mean really if you're riding past the limits of street tires on the street then you might want to check into some life insurance.

Edit: I don't mean to put anyone out and be a bummer and I'm sure people here have had good experience with slicks on the street but I'd say the same thing to my brother. It's not a good idea..
so you havent run them on bike?

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
The only question I see is will you be able to heat them up before your first evasive maneuver? Sand gravel and even water won't be a problem once they're heated either.... well unless you hit a ton of it but that would probably fuck up a dot tire too.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
The only question I see is will you be able to heat them up before your first evasive maneuver? Sand gravel and even water won't be a problem once they're heated either.... well unless you hit a ton of it but that would probably fuck up a dot tire too.
quick burn out on ur way out the driveway will insure that ;)

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Right. Gravel, sand, oil don't treat street tires well when leaned over either.

·
Registered
299 Posts
They wont stay heated enough unless youre full throttle full brake everywhere. But the water sipes do make quite the difference; I ran through a small puddle (maybe a foot wide) in a curve on the track and the rear slid instantly out on it. I was running a pilot power on the front with a power cupon the rear, it didn't do anything to the front but it scared the shit out of me with the rear.

There are street oriented slicks out there, they have a little tread and different compound but way more suited to the road than a full blown race tire. They're also legal and won't net you a ticket that'll cost a set of tires.

Right. Gravel, sand, oil don't treat street tires well when leaned over either.
No but its way better on a tire that's at its operating temp with some groove, also everything sticks to slicks; theyre so soft, have you ever seen that game katamari?

·
Currently Feckless
332 Posts
Has anyone here used Shinko Slicks on their street ridden bikes?
I'm under the belief that the rubber is the same as their street/drag tires....so that heat cycling won't be an issue?
If you don't mind me asking, what's your reasoning for going with the slicks if the rubber is the same?

Also, it might not be your intention to ride in the wet, but what if it rains while you're out, will you wait until the road dries off before continuing to ride?

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know the Shinko's are cheap for a reason.... and their racing experience is probably quite low (except on the drag strip where they are seriously loved). And when I get new tires to replace my old Michelin's on my RS250 cup bike,they will NOT be Shinko's....as I will be running as hard as my limited ability can go.
The RGV250SP these are going on has lead a rough life of track days/racing in F3 type classes in Japan, then Australia for a few years. I'm piecing it back together to ride on the street for a year or two, between my other bikes.... then retire it, as it will be old enough for vintage shows, and be rolling on grass more than pavement.

Plus....nothing looks better than slicks :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
I know the Shinko's are cheap for a reason.... and their racing experience is probably quite low (except on the drag strip where they are seriously loved). And when I get new tires to replace my old Michelin's on my RS250 cup bike,they will NOT be Shinko's....as I will be running as hard as my limited ability can go.
The RGV250SP these are going on has lead a rough life of track days/racing in F3 type classes in Japan, then Australia for a few years. I'm piecing it back together to ride on the street for a year or two, between my other bikes.... then retire it, as it will be old enough for vintage shows, and be rolling on grass more than pavement.

Plus....nothing looks better than slicks :D
It sounds like you at least have reasonable expectations. (ps I SOOOO wish I had my or any APE RS250 back... I want one soo bad... Id drop 30lbs just to get competitive on one, lol)

(Ps. Who eles here has first hand experience with the Shinko road race slicks?)

I went out 10min after a rain shower in our last practice before our Superbike race at RRR in G.A. (it had a 18-20" drying line) everybody went out on full rains to race DOT's. I had no choice as all I had was a set of used 555 (super soft) Dunlop slicks. and I put down the 2nt quickest lap time of that session.

Some how I cant feel that racing slicks are getting a bad name. I mean aside from the legal standpoint, i would use them alot on the street (you get much better feed back from slides and pushes). hell I still run my Dunlop road racing Slicks on the road when I don't have money for new rubber on all of my 7 bikes, and 3 piles of parts that will be bikes some day.. when it comes to sand gravel or shit like that it doesn't make much of a difference from a slick to a DOT.

You want fun try going 150mph+ on the back of Barber Raceway and have the guy 20yards infront of you blow his motor and you, your bike, your tires, (your underwear lol) get coverd in oil and you cant see all you can do is feel your bike slip sliding as if it were on ice and not knowing where your going all you can do is try to keep it on two wheels till (you hope) you get to the other side. (idk how but I did) it was like riding on ice with your eyes closed.
Syr I just had to say that. all this talk about slicks and bad grip etc etc lol.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My RS too many years ago.... without slicks...but I was going so slow I didn't need them :D
Collecting dust now :(

And thanks for all the input :rock:

Reactions: Hurricane Racing

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 28 Posts