Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

561 - 572 of 572 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
Finally got this old girl back together. Finally finished doing up the brakes and ordered a decal kit. Bad thing about powdercoating the brakes is now the fork lowers and swinger look all snotty.

Spent quite some time working on this old tank so making a horse for it was a real help.

Quite annoying that the seat cover is the wrong color red. But she started up easily and is running good. Almost afraid to scratch it at this point :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apUmPmAUiSE&feature=youtu.be

·
Is my bike ok?
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Those brakes look good! Did you use high temp powder?
Technically, no. But the powder cooks at 420°, so it can take some heat. The headpipes are done in high temp stuff. Curious to see if that holds up.

Edit: you'd be hard pressed to get dirt bike brakes calipers all that hot in the first place :D

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,352 Posts
That looks like a fancy one! I just have some household oven I found on the side of the road. No joke. Drove home with it hanging out of my trunk cause I didn't have ropes or bungee cords.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
Yeah, it's an expensive oven, but I don't know why. My house over heats much faster. Of course, being 120v doesn't help. But I lucked in to the setup cheap. Oven, gun, few bottles of powder, couple rolls of 'glass tape and a Tupperware container full of silicone plugs for under 300 bucks. I don't really remember what I paid, but it was a buddy's old rig he didn't use anymore.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #570
Trusty, the XR400 got showered with a little love recently. Been bashing this thing around for 3 years now and it hasn't asked for anything but tires and oil. So I slapped on a Mikuni flatside. I tell ya what, even beside the addition of an accelerator pump ( I'm in love) the flatslides just hit harder. The throttle response at any rpm is just instant.

The kit as it arrived to me.

The Mikuni has a 40mm spigot where the stock Keihin was 42mm in to the carb boot. Pretty disappointed in that as the supplied carb only came with a preinstalled adapter ( beautifully made and fitted) on the airbix side. So I turned up my own adapter for the intake manifold side.

Can't blame the bike for this. Don't reuse head gaskets! :D Had to do a thread repair, reused a head gasket I'd been riding on for two years and forgot about it. Oops. It gave me another year of riding though, before I started hearing an odd squeaking noise under hard throttle :LolLolLolLol:

Everything still looking tight and fresh inside.

One cylinder. Eight rocker arms. You go, Honda!

Been running the stronger CRF450 cam chain. Cam gear seems happy with no unusual wear....

...so let's throw some extra stress on that 22 year old valvetrain :party-smiley:

Oh yeah, she's got some extra hooch now! Quick tuning test rides with the new goodies tells me I'm gonna need to replace my rear tire sooner rather than later. :letsride:

·
Is my bike ok?
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #572
My ignition switch on the XL got damaged in crash. The little clippy things broke and the switch flopped around. I turned up a small bezel and welded it to a piece of rod to make a tab. Filed her down and she's solid now :D

I wish the relief for the screw was more visible in the pics. That was a chore to carve out and I'm quite pleased with it!

561 - 572 of 572 Posts