Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's stuck big time. I haven't tried heating it yet because the bolt will spin in the hole. Im thinking that the bolt is stuck on the bushings and that's whats holding it. I dont really know what to do other than running a sawzall down each side to the swing arm then i can go from there.

FWIW the bike is a 94 zx7

TIA
Fred

G

·
Are you sure its not threaded into the frame? if so usually a bit of pressure from the threaded end while someone else turns the bolt from the other end can get it shifting in the right direction

A good regular soak over a few days with a release oil can help if its stuck in the bearings or frame & always worth a try before getting drastic with it

You could get someone to support the bike while you give it a good sharp tap but leave the nut on loose so as not to damage the threads & use a block of wood as a punch, if it moves punch it back & forth a few times & use release oil every time, hopefully it will gradually move more each time until you can get it out

Having said all that my best guess is its stuck in the bearing spacer in the centre of the arm so heat wont help as you wont get enough heat into that to make a difference so unless anyone else has a bright idea you will have to cut it ..... last resort though

I have had to cut one or two out before & never try to get between the arm & frame as you will damage both, I prefer to cut the arm as its easier to replace (gives you the excuse to buy something posh too :))
If you do go down that route try to cut the arm just past the bearing seat as the bearings are hard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure its not threaded into the frame? if so usually a bit of pressure from the threaded end while someone else turns the bolt from the other end can get it shifting in the right direction

A good regular soak over a few days with a release oil can help if its stuck in the bearings or frame & always worth a try before getting drastic with it

You could get someone to support the bike while you give it a good sharp tap but leave the nut on loose so as not to damage the threads & use a block of wood as a punch, if it moves punch it back & forth a few times & use release oil every time, hopefully it will gradually move more each time until you can get it out

Having said all that my best guess is its stuck in the bearing spacer in the centre of the arm so heat wont help as you wont get enough heat into that to make a difference so unless anyone else has a bright idea you will have to cut it ..... last resort though

I have had to cut one or two out before & never try to get between the arm & frame as you will damage both, I prefer to cut the arm as its easier to replace (gives you the excuse to buy something posh too :))
If you do go down that route try to cut the arm just past the bearing seat as the bearings are hard
Thanks dude. glad i posted because I had the saw in my hand.

Im positive its not threaded to the frame because the bolt spins easily both ways.

The bolt is already pooched because i had the nut on it and hit it hard enough to get the nut stuck on there really crooked. This was the point i knew i was done for the day. will spray it tonight and give it a go tomorrow but ill likely be ordering a new arm.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts
I had the exact problem tearing my bike down a few years ago. A couple days of soak in ATF/Acetone mix and hammering on it with a deadblow/plastic mallet. What finally broke mine free was finding a steel rod that slid INTO my pivot and getting out the BFH to rail on the steel.

Don't cut it if you don't have to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts