Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whatsup. Just joined this forum even though I've been lurking around here for a while. You guys seem a lot cooler than the guys on the cbr forum lol. Anyway my first post is gonna be a long one with plenty of pictures so get ready.

Back in January I decided to buy myself a birthday present for 20th and went out got a CBR 600F4. It was an impulse buy, I'll admit it, it's hard to beat $1200 for a first bike. And man isn't she pretty

This is the condition of the bike when I got her.

Meh, you get what you pay for right.

Well after a couple days of riding around the neighborhood I'm riding it down the street and the bike just dies bogs down and dies. Won't start back up. So I change the battery and it starts and idles around 4k then shuts off again and won't come back on...fuck. After sitting for a week or so and doing more research I found that the bike wasn't starting because the neutral light wasn't coming on (I was too stupid to realize I could also start it in 1st). Well skip ahead to March/April and after tinkering with it I was finally able to get it started. AWESOME. With a now running bike I took the fairings off to change the oil and Whoa!

Damn thats sexy! And I haven't put the fairings on ever since. So more time goes by and I'm riding around the neighborhood (illegally mind you, my bike had no tags) and almost every time my bike bogs down, backfires, and dies. But I'm usually able to get it started and running just enough to get back home. Welllllll I came to the conclusion that bogging down is due to dirty carbs so I put sea foam in my tank and go to ride it around for a couple minutes like you're supposed to and boom....locked the front wheel up and went down. Now the bike legit doesn't start unless the choke is on all the way. Theres so scratches on the frame, my front fairing is cracked and the tail fairing is pretty scraped up along with the stator cover.

A couple more weeks go by and my bike gets back from the shop they say its gonna be $1100 to get road ready again. They said I'm running on 3 cylinders and only with choke on and a lot of the leads in the main wiring harness are either broken or damaged and there is some slight rust in the gas tank. I'm assuming that the carbs need some work and I need a new main loom to take care of most of the problems with this bike. So here I am now I have everything off of the bike down to the carbs. I tried to remove the tail fairing but one of the bolts got stripped and I can't get it out.

The stupid dealership didn't even bother screwing my tank in.

Now back to the carbs.... I have a screw in the carbs that is stripped and also don't know how to get this one out.

Now to end this long post I ask you guys. Do you think my bike is worth putting more money into to make it a street fighter? My options are either that, sell it as is, or take it to a cycle salvage...

Please help with my stripped screws and any other input/ opinions are welcome as well.
Bike has 23k on it btw.

Whatever I end up doing it's going to be hard parting with this beautiful orange paint

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
The stripped screws, a 3 inch grinder/cut off tool to put a deep flat head slot in them and use a screw driver to get them out.

Yes it's worth it to fix. Don't let the dealer do it, I used to work for honda, thiefs

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Ya will learn a lot from workin on this one fer sure mate and fer sure Fighter that wee beastie;)

welcom in :D

·
☢
5,596 Posts
ive had good luck with craftsman ez outs

or just a larger drill bit, and drill the head off, then the threaded part usually comes right out. you should be able to grab it with some vise grips too, once the head is off.

as for selling it: how much work do you want to throw at it?

·
639 Posts
You don't have much invested in it. It will be a very good bike to learn on. You are willing to take it apart , why not learn a little while your in there. You'll get frustrated and stuck on certain parts but that's all part of the addiction of owning a bike. There are owners that won't do anything that isn't specific to the bike and there are guys like the ones here that look at it and just make it work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
I like the fact they you're asking in here if you should turn it into a SF. :D I think I know the answer almost every person in here will give you..... DO IT!!! :rock: As tlstreak said, you haven't got a lot of money in it (so far ;) ) so just use it as a great platform to learn on.

Unless the bike shop said to you "We haven't bolted your tank on because <insert valid reason here>" then fuck the robbing bastards off!! :2up: If they can't even be arsed to bolt your tank down how well do they do more involved work?!!! :speechless: I wonder if they bother to bolt your brake calipers on to the correct torque, or the axle nuts! Don't ever go back there, they're a bunch of fucking useless c.unts by the sounds of it. Spend the money you'd have wasted in there on buying/making stuff for the bike and make it unique. Any problems, just ask in here cos it's a mine of information and populated by loads of helpful, knowledgeable people (that's part of the reason I come in here. :) ).

As for the seized fasteners, I know what a twat they can be! If you can get a hacksaw onto any of them cut a slot into the head and whack an impact driver on 'em. WD-40 or some other release spray could be useful too.

Next step - start a build thread. YKIMS. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I say streetfighter it. I did it with my bandit... best choice ever. I learned a shit ton about bikes... its priceless really.

many fun things you can do with this.... figure out how people have swapped the subframe/tail , or etc. Once you have a new tail it looks like a complete different custom bike.

or restore it. But thats boring.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
I say streetfighter it. I did it with my bandit... best choice ever. I learned a shit ton about bikes... its priceless really.

many fun things you can do with this.... figure out how people have swapped the subframe/tail , or etc. Once you have a new tail it looks like a complete different custom bike.

or restore it. But thats boring.

REP!

·
Fucking Newb...Oh wait
7,631 Posts
I didn't read any of the hubbub up there and such but the question of should you fighter it...simply, yes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts