Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Doomsday Machine Operator
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys its been a grip of time since I was a regular on the forum and I remember from about 2011-12 reading several threads about making bodywork mock up's or plugs using modelling clay and then pulling molds for fiberglass or carbon layup.

I seriously tried to use the "search" option and found so much stuff I didn't know where to begin reading.

In the last 6 years I've learned so much about vacuum bagging, mold making and sheet metal fabrication. I would love to see what guys are doing to create bodywork such as tanks, fairings and seat sections. I have made quite a few aluminum gas tanks and some alloy bodywork but I want to make some in carbon for a few up coming projects.

Thanks for all you help in advance!

Later Travis

·
V4's FTW
10,493 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Someone used basically playdoh recently, I don’t remember who it was but he made a tail for his sumo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Is my bike ok?
15,008 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I could have sworn that was during the last build off! Geez! Where does the time go?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Is there a member on here named Yoshi or something like that that does a lot of his own bodywork? I swear it was very informative and the guy did like a set of side fairings and a belly pan with clay to add a lot of custom details.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,008 Posts
Thanks guys. Is there a member on here named Yoshi or something like that that does a lot of his own bodywork? I swear it was very informative and the guy did like a set of side fairings and a belly pan with clay to add a lot of custom details.
None of that rings a bell, the name or the project, but maybe you're thinking of Yantosh? He builds a ton of stuff, but I'm not sure about past bodywork projects.
@yantosh

·
V four honda whore
12,321 Posts
i shall call yantosh Yoshi from now

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I literally do this for a living. Check out claymoto.com. There's a bit in "project stories" that shows the process kinda. Any questions ping me an email. Happy to help.

I have read through and seen a lot of what you have done and I thank you for posting it to the WWW. I know there is more info out there but finding it has proven difficult. I have always been a very visual learner and I'm mostly self taught on metal fabrication as well as plastics/epoxies/mold making, etc. That being said, I have a few books I've found on prototype model making but they are more geared towards product development for general manufacturing, not specifically motorcycle bodywork. I wish I had copied all the images from the threads I read through back in 2008-2012 but I wasn't really as interested then as I am now.

Thanks again for all your help, now and possibly in the future.

Reactions: TURNIP

·
Registered
24 Posts
I literally do this for a living. Check out claymoto.com. There's a bit in "project stories" that shows the process kinda. Any questions ping me an email. Happy to help.
Checked out your website, and WOW that's some super impressive work! I have two questions for you:

1. Mess?!?! By the looks of it you put the clay directly on the bike. Doesn't it get into places you don't want it to? How about taking it off later?

2. I can't seem to find Staedtler clay for sale here in the US. Is Chavant an acceptable alternative?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts