1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's one of the bike's I am looking at

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4836765899.html

But first a question...

When I see these type of carbs on a bike. It appears to me like there's just bare red trumpets with no filters. Do people really invest thousands of dollars into an engine rebuild and run no filters? Is that really seriously a thing that people think is ok to do? if so I dont get it. All that money spent and people still need to run open carbs for that last 5 hp? Or are there little filters inside those stacks that I can't see? Someone please explain this to me.

·
old fart
3,714 Posts
yep they are just little red (or blue) trumpets with nothing in them :)
I ran mine without anything else fitted, wasnt worried about any wear to the engine.:oops:
sound of un filtered induction is awesome :rock:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oookaaaay. Well I guess I'm not buying that bike. Thanks for clearing things up. Yea I like a motor to sound badass just like the next guy but fuck. Thats stupid. No offense 370. Fuckin STOOPID though. Thats some facepalm shit for me. Does it really sound that much moar muffled with pod filters? lol jeesus christ the way some people burn money away. Again no offense. lol.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Stacks give the bike a really nice sound especially when you get on it. There is something about hearing those carbs suck air. I liked the sound and ran stacks until my filters came in then swapped.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea thats great (sorry to threadbomb). Thats cool and all that it sounds good. Fuck me though that kills your engine. Just ride past somebody mowing the lawn and 1 mile could into 1000 miles worth of wear. Or something big enough gets in there and it's more of an instant catastrophe. Ok Ive made my point lol.

Just because theyre around behind the engine doesn't mean that stuff like... doesn't get in there...

·
old fart
3,714 Posts
If your looking to keep an engine for a VERY long time, then yes filters are a very good idea to help you get the longevity you seek, all engines are going to fail at some time!! up to now i have destroyed a few :oops: but never from running open stacks :) chance you take :rock:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i c i c. well he says there's 5,000 miles or so on the rebuild. What do you think I should do? We'll turn it into another one of those here for a minute... Would you consider this a decent find? it has supposedly about 5,000 on the top end. I think it's the original crank and the tranny still going strong at more like 55k I think he said. Im pretty sure I heard wheel stands included. It was a while back that I called. Hopefully he at laest has some filters for it and tells me that he runs them some of the time.

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
i c i c. well he says there's 5,000 miles or so on the rebuild. What do you think I should do? We'll turn it into another one of those here for a minute... Would you consider this a decent find? it has supposedly about 5,000 on the top end. I think it's the original crank and the tranny still going strong at more like 55k I think he said. Im pretty sure I heard wheel stands included. It was a while back that I called. Hopefully he at laest has some filters for it and tells me that he runs them some of the time.
I'd pass... But only because if I wanted a GSXR I'd hold out for a 1990 because the headlights look 10000000000x times better, to my eye.

But I'd say if you can get it for $2500 and you're looking for an old GSXR, get it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea Its about 50/50 for me. I like the round headlights but I dont like the single tail light as much on those ones compared to the double block tail lights. Plus the round headlight models have conventional forks (cuz unfortunately people hate the U.S. and they unload their mediocre level shit on us while canada got bigger carbs and upside down forks...) but the updated slingshot has the usd front end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts