Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 01 kawi zx6r, my exhaust canister has a nasty hole in it. It costs about $35 to have a piece of alluminum welded over it. I actually found the OEM exhaust for a 2011 kawi zx10 on ebay selling with shipping for $35. I was wondering if this would hinder the performance on the bike at all. I was hoping that it would quiet the bike a little bit compared to the muzzy that was already installed onto it. any recommendations? better/ more economical ways to solve my problem?

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Hmmm, Im kind of at a bit of a quandary here...you wanna make your bike QUIETER? I can't help ya there bud, sorry. What I will say is, post a pic of your muffler. I might buy it off you for the money you'd need to buy a stock replacement.

That being said, IF you only have the slip on and your bike isn't equipped with a K&N air filter or a jet kit (carbed right?) then that slip on isn't really doing anything anyways. That stock muffler IS going to ADD backpressure compared to your muzzy though.

·
Knows nothing....
2,132 Posts
JJ is right with the adding back pressure and quieting it down. If there is a hole in the pipe, it will increase the sound dramatically. Location of the hole will change the sound also. Also, with the hole, you could be losing packing and if you are throwing flames, you come be burning packing. A lot depends on how quiet you want it and how much that hole is affecting sound itself.

I had a hindle on my 98 ZX6R what had a hole on the lower edge of the can. It shot flames and I would lose packing all the time. I pulled it apart and it had no packing left in it. Once I sealed up the hole and repacked it, it was night and day difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts