Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Welcome to the new day...
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok in prep for the winter buld off or even if tht does nto happen I plan t build a fighter this winter.

I tend to lean toward a single sided swing arm as I think it looks strip down naked.

So the question is.

Whats up with these things. They seem to have stood the test of time adnd track abuse so I assume they are stout.

But what bikes have them and what ones are readily available for cheap.

If I can nto find one here I need to get sent from the states.

If Ican find a bike her with one I will snatch it up but I might swap it out for a swing arm on another bike like an old GSXr and slap in a single sided swing arm the machining and al to do it is no problem having hte machien sshop available at my disposal.

Any thoughts help advice is gretly appreciated.
 

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
Joined
·
16,719 Posts
VFR, Hinckley Triumphs and Ducati are the most common in the streetfighter world, but I've seen MV single siders on slingshots before (lotsa work!)
 

·
Portland Oregon
Joined
·
185 Posts
I was thinking of this also but my brothers 92 vfr only has a 170 rear tire and my gsxr is a 180. Is there a single sided arm that will take a 180 or larger?
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,647 Posts
spaz said:
I was thinking of this also but my brothers 92 vfr only has a 170 rear tire and my gsxr is a 180. Is there a single sided arm that will take a 180 or larger?

if that bike comes with a 170, you can run a 180 on it.




vfrs and ducattis have them. i would think the vfr would be the easier exchange.

theres also european companies that manufacture s.s.swingarms.
can you get Streetfighter Magazine over there steve??

if so take a look thru and check out the ads. spondon may even make them still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Spondon and other brands cost an arm and a leg...
Anyways, Go for them if money is not a problem...
If I were you... I would go for a CBR platform and a VFR swingarm... Lots of people have performed this mod before and it would be easier to find tech support.
Good luck and keep us updated!:evil:
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,647 Posts
very true. spondons are big dollas!
 

·
Welcome to the new day...
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm Ok So you say an F2 and a VFR are a good match I will look into finding them both here.

Magazines ha ha ha no mags or news papers from outside the country allowed in.

Our consititution and bill of rights are something you really don't get a grasp of or appreciate until you live in a true Police State for a while. (Sorry I am quite anti Government) at least the one in power now anyway. God Bless America!
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,647 Posts
bah to the gov!
 

·
the mad doctor
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
the linkage on a vfr arm won't bolt right into an f2/f3. it'll fit, but it takes a lil work. a nt650 (hawk gt) arm goes right in though. i think they actually still make a version of that bike overseas (ntv650, BROS, etc)

the vfr arm does go right into a 900rr though.

dunno what you have available over there, but there's lots of smaller honda's with SSS's too. vfr/rvf400's, thing's of that nature.

the 4 bolt honda hubs use the same bolt pattern (4x100) as alot of honda cars, if you wanted to get really funky with the rear wheel. we just put a 20x8 rim on a hawk arm with a vfr hub in it, fits like a glove, but we're using a stupidly low profile car tire on it. a rounded bike tire wouldn't fit with that big of a rim.

i have access to arms off of a hawk gt, vfr750 (800's are different), triumph (but not sure what model it's off of) and a ducati 916, if you want some measurements.

i've swapped hubs between alot of SSS's too, most all of them have the same sized eccentric in them, so it's easy to swap out to whatever wheel/brake combo you want.

still trying to find a decent deal on a vfr800 arm for my bike too, if you happen to come across one. the 750 arm i have won't work, without cutting the cases, and that's not happening.
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,647 Posts
great info scroOz. thanks.
 

·
Perpetual Project
Joined
·
3,695 Posts
What'd be extreemly helpful is a good solid writeup on swaping swingarms, single sided and normal. I havn't attempted it before, and I know its not as painful as all that, but a detailed structure of what measurements to make, what all needs to line up, and just general things to keep in mind would be really helpful.

Its basicly a matter of either machining off part of the pivot on the swingarm, and/or adding spacers to the pivot or axel, correct? Then theres suspension setups to consider...
 

·
the mad doctor
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
Candyman said:
What'd be extreemly helpful is a good solid writeup on swaping swingarms, single sided and normal. I havn't attempted it before, and I know its not as painful as all that, but a detailed structure of what measurements to make, what all needs to line up, and just general things to keep in mind would be really helpful.

Its basicly a matter of either machining off part of the pivot on the swingarm, and/or adding spacers to the pivot or axel, correct? Then theres suspension setups to consider...

if you'd like (since i have alot of spare time) i can write up something. lord knows i've done alot of suspension swapping. i've learned alot of ways to get around certain problems, and how to make things work the simplest (meaning cheapest :D ) way possible.

it's really not too hard, the most difficult part being getting the geometry right if the bike has a rising rate linkage and/or getting the shock angle correct. both of those have to be right, or the bike will handle all kinds of wierd.
 

·
Perpetual Project
Joined
·
3,695 Posts
That'd be awesome man, extreemly helpful.

I think you and I share the same philosophy, make it as cool as possible, as cheap as possible!:D
 

·
fighter transplant in NC
Joined
·
14,319 Posts
we all share that philosophy..... thats why we're here. thats part of building fighters as far as I'm concerned.
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,647 Posts
SkrOoZ thatd be awesome if you did a write up on swingarm conversions. wicked good resource!

i'll send ya a sticker or two fo free, and post it as a sticky!


:cfrocks: :cfrocks:
 

·
the mad doctor
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
929_adam said:
SkrOoZ thatd be awesome if you did a write up on swingarm conversions. wicked good resource!

i'll send ya a sticker or two fo free, and post it as a sticky!


:cfrocks: :cfrocks:

i'm in the middle of doing a few lil things to the 954, but as soon as i get that done (no more than a day or two), i'll start writing up a suspension swapping tutorial or what have you. i have a bunch of pics i can post up in it too, some single sided conversions, some standard conversions, and even the twin to mono shock conversion i did on that xs650 cafe bike i built.

stickers are always good, lol. already used the ones i had. the bike, the helmet, the g/f's car...etc :D
 

·
Abministrator
Joined
·
10,687 Posts
skr00zloose said:
i'm in the middle of doing a few lil things to the 954, but as soon as i get that done (no more than a day or two), i'll start writing up a suspension swapping tutorial or what have you. i have a bunch of pics i can post up in it too, some single sided conversions, some standard conversions, and even the twin to mono shock conversion i did on that xs650 cafe bike i built.

stickers are always good, lol. already used the ones i had. the bike, the helmet, the g/f's car...etc :D
And of course we'd just HAVE to give you a bunch of rep points for that too! :cfcartman:
 

·
Perpetual Project
Joined
·
3,695 Posts
Hehe, better hurry on that writeup skrooze, you've inspired me to impulse bid on a couple swingarms on ebay. Knowing my luck I'll probly win them all and end up with a ton of $ unloaded. My wife'll love that... oh well, Christmas bonus just came in today!:dancingmonkey:
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top