Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone please tell me the best size tube to use for a subframe(wall thickness,etc.) on a r6?

Thank you!

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Karp
17 Posts
Solo or do you intend on carrying a passenger?

Professional welder, or amateur?

There really are too many factors, including the liability issue of somebody telling you what to use who is not an engineer.

Better to over do it!
Yep better to always over do it.On my tail Im using 7/8x1/8 seamless DOM tubing,(of course I re purposed it all)ware the tail mounts to the frame,using 1/4 plate,and grade 8 3/8" bolts.Its in mock up as of now,I figure be itll be bullet proof as Im an experienced welder/fabricator,..piece of mind in the end is priceless,..

Attachments

G

·
As Mike says it depends on the design & your skill, something properly triangulated & fully supported can use smaller Dia thinner walled tube than something just hung in the air, you can even make a glassfibre or carbon or steel sheet self supporting seat unit that looks like it should never work, all of which goes out of the window if you don't have the skill or experience to do it properly

My own stuff has been made progressively lighter with thinner materials over the years as I have gained experience & skill, its all really a judgement call but I would go a little thicker in tube wall than you think you need & bend it avoid cut & shut joins

1 - 7 of 7 Posts