Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
skr00zloose's bastard child build off entry - Official Buildoff Thread

ONLY OFFICIAL BUILDOFF UPDATES SHOULD BE POSTED IN THE OFFICIAL BUILDOFF THREADS!!! ALL DISCUSSIONS SHOULD BE POSTED IN THE BUILDERS DISCUSSION THREAD! ANY POSTS IN THE OFFICIAL THREADS FROM ANYONE OTHER THAN THE BUILDOFF THREAD AUTHOR, WILL BE DELETED.

ALL DISCUSSION ABOUT THIS BUILD SHOULD BE IN HERE!

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
Re: skr00zloose's bastard child discussion

oh, yeah, thanks for reminding me to change that, didn't even think about it. and since the bike isn't really anything (meaning not one particular bike) i didn't know what to call it, lol. i guess technically it's still a hawk, even if the only thing i'm using from that bike is the frame.

anywho, i started playing with a few ideas already. having the time to actually build what i wanted to in the first place opens up a new can of worms. i'm gonna try and get the motor in the frame nice and tight over the next week or two, then i have ALOT of fab work to do on the rest of the bike. should keep me busy for a while if nothing else.

·
GURU
1,797 Posts

$205 in change? Can I borrow a quarter? lol

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts

Dudad said:
$205 in change? Can I borrow a quarter? lol
did you seriously count all that?????

btw, you were off by $10, lol. i'm gonna go get drunk and go to the arcade now..... :LolLolLolLol:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

man..im lookin forward to seeing this one come together. i see you robbed your change jar..

at this very moment im eyeballing the poland springs 5 gal jug i have and wondering how much is in there. hmmm. its my 'vacation' fund tho. haha.

cr 450r. wow, i dont think ive even heard of that bike. things the same age as me tho. :D left side kicker?? just kick it before you get on it with your right. hah.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts

well as it's looking at the moment, to get the chain to line up right, it may be bump-start only, lol. the frame is about 4 inches wider than the motor, and with the motor lined up, the kickstart lever is INSIDE the left side frame spar, hahaha. i might be able to make something work with a custom kicker, we shall see. from what i've read about these motors, they're a bitch to kick in the first place, so i may just say fuggit and bump start it. that's REAL minimalism. i can see it now, the first time someone asks why i have to push start it, i'm gonna say "cuz the kickstarter weighed too much". IT'S ALL ABOUT POWER TO WEIGHT!!! :LolLolLolLol:

I'm also really considering doing some port work to it to try and calm down the "light switch" throttle that these motors apparently had.

·
236 Posts

The ideas behind this bike are blowing my mind. I think I love everything you are doing. The bump start will make it cooler in my opinion. Minimalistic is a great way to go!! Need more pics. I'd love to shoot you some ideas. I think we may be on the same wave length.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts

SNGPerformance said:
The ideas behind this bike are blowing my mind. I think I love everything you are doing. The bump start will make it cooler in my opinion. Minimalistic is a great way to go!! Need more pics. I'd love to shoot you some ideas. I think we may be on the same wave length.

bring em on mang! i'm always down to hear anyone's ideas.

the whole point to this bike is gonna be CHEAPNESS!! :LolLolLolLol:

had the frame for years, got the motor basically for free, have some of the parts i'm going to use laying around, the rest i'll make from scratch. the subframe is going to be sooooo easy to make, and it'll look sweet.

i may have to have some rearsets made though, stock hawk one's suck. wonder if i can find someone to make me a set????? heheheh

·
236 Posts
Fine some rears sets from a GSXR and just weld on the mounting points. Newer one I think would be best.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
SNGPerformance said:
Fine some rears sets from a GSXR and just weld on the mounting points. Newer one I think would be best.

not quite that sinple. because the motor is so narrow and tiny, the shift linkage has to be moved to the inboard side of the shifter. like, by a couple inches maybe.

on the plus side, with the motor in place, there's just enough room to run the expansion chamber on the left side of the cylinder, over the carb, and out the back thru the middle of the frame, just under the subframe. gonna have to cut the exhaust in a few sections and turn a few degrees to make it work, but it's doable, for sure. this bike is going to be REALLY narrow, and really light. i have the motor bolted in the frame already, though just with the front and rear mounts. turns out the mounts almost line up perfectly, and the sprocket rides right where it needs to for the chain to clear the top and bottom run of the swingarm. there's plenty of room to move the motor side to side to make sure the sprockets line up.

i'm going to remake the two mounts i'm already using with urethane inserts to try to calm some of the vibration, then i have to make up a sub-motor mount for the lower two and cylinder head mounts. also going to try and use urethane bushings in those mounts. as it's looking right now, i won't even have to mdify the frame to any degree that i wouldn't be able to put a hawk motor back in it if i decided to in the future.

i'll post some pics when i get home tonight, just sitting at work bored at the moment. figured i'd post up.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
thanks guys!!

i'm pretty much gonna have to MAKE everything fit, since nothing, except the f3 swingarm, will even come close to bolting in, but it ought to be pretty trick when it's done. i think i pretty much gave up on the spoked rim idea. i don't know how well the dirtbike hubs would work out on the street. if one of them let go while i was riding, it wouldn't be pretty. i may end up with an sv650 rear wheel or something, and maybe an older inverted gsxr front end/wheel, since they're cheaper. even though getting a set of gsxr trees in a honda is a PAIN. i've done it before. maybe i can get some gsxr forks to work in some 929/954 trees. never tried it. anyone happen to have a set of earl/mid 90's gsxr forks that they can measure the outer diameter of, where they mount in the trees? maybe some zx7 forks? both those bikes use 3 spoke wheels, so if i used the right wheel with either of those forks, the wheels would be close enough of a match to keep me happy.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
haelo said:
What a crazy project dude, are you sure you're taken your pills?

i think it's the pills that made me wanna do this in the first place :LolLolLolLol:

oh... wait.... you mean THOSE pills!! :D

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Hey, mind posting a couple pics on how you got the mounts to work? I'm just curious what they look like and are placed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't give up on the spoked wheels; I think they'd look awesome.

Check out these links:

http://store.eastcoastwheels.com/

http://www.motostrano-store.com/wheelstires.html

With spoked wheels you'll need to run inner tubes, which adds a little weight; but on the plus side your bike will be light enough to use supermoto tires (which wiegh less than regular sport bike tires).

For more info on spoked wheels check out these forums (you might be able to get some info on your engine too):

www.supermotojunkie.com

www.thumpertalk.com

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
lol, already a member of both those sites. i've owned a number of supermoto's already. my main concern with the spoked rims is whether the hubs would hold up. maybe i can find some vt750 hubs or something, they'd be alot stronger, if a lil heavier.

i'll get some pics of the mounts asap, the bike (what there is of it at the moment) is at my shop right now, so it may have to wait till monday.

·
Welcome to the new day...
2,672 Posts
Got a few ideas if you want them.

Regarding the 2 stroke exhaust. I make some silencersfor the UK market. and a few race bikes in the USA. Want one for yours? 30 Bucks - its 100% Carbon can with 6061 end caps .

My design make the spout end able to rotate as I have a bunch of pre-drilled and tapped holes so you can adjust the spout no mater how you mount it. Thought it might look cool if you do an under tail exhaust or even on the side.

About the rear sets. I designed a set and used a set of Vortex to get some hole spacing correct. This was for an R-1.

Do you think this will work? I see you mentioned the shifter would need to be extended into the frame and this set up will allow that if you fab a longer spacer on the shift rod where it goes through (Did that make sense?)

I am into horse trading so we can work out a deal some how. But these rear sets are a bit beat up need a little elbow grease on the polishing wheel to get up to snuff. Not the ones in the pic but the original vortex ones.

Interested? Will they work for your needs?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts