Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening gang.

After enjoying a track day on my KTM last year I decided that i wanted to do a few more this year and get to grips with how to handle a bike properly.

With that in mind I started looking for a cheap 600 to use as a track bike. I knew of a zx6r that wasn't being used and was under a cover in a carpark and offered my friend some money for it but she wanted more than I wanted to spend. I then hit ebay, gumtree and preloved and looked at lots of websites until I found a bike that was cheap and local to me (ended up being about 4 miles away)

I went and had a look and heard the bike running and the engine sounded fine but the brakes were a bit seized and the bike had been in storage for the last 5 years and not been used. A deal was struck and the owner even had a mate who could bring it to my house in a van, so for £600 inc delivery I got this wonderful looking 1987 gsxr750

Ok so its been badly fightered already but it had obviously been look after at some point in its life and I felt a bit sorry for it.

Time to do a strip down and see the full state of the bike

Sadly five of the exhaust bolts snapped on removal (which is annoying) but it had to come apart as the headers were rusty and blowing.

The std front end comes out and I won't be using that again. Its in great condition though.

Got some partworn tyres cheap £50

Raided my parts bin for some potential new parts

The horror show under the rgv tail!

Three bolts holding the subframe on, two of which were M4...

The carbs were in reasonable shape and just required striping and cleaning

A little help from the bitey one.

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

With a bit of grunting the engine came out

remember that zx6r I mentioned, I got a call asking if I still wanted it ... £500 couldn't say no realy

back to the gsxr and the forks were serviced with a homemade spring compressor, modified and fitted (any guesses to their origins?)

The zx6r was serviced and the motd, taxed, insured and polished

and the Gsxr's engine was cracked open

I got some wheels painted and put the tyres on myself with only brute force, ignorance and some fairy liquid!

And the bike as it is now with the wheels in.

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats as far as I have got, I have a load of other bits for the bike and also dropped the cylinder head off today to get the snapped bolts spark eroded out.

I plan to get this back on the road and ready by the end of the RAIN we are having here in the Uk at the moment.

John

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been making up some spaces for the front wheel, I was trying to slim down a speedo drive to fit in so I could use the original clocks but the zx12 forks were never designed for a speedo drive and I was unable to make it small enough by a couple of mm. I will have to go down the magnetic sensor route so I am considering the Koso dash.

First wheel spacer, I will have to make another one now

The speedo drive before I trimmed it down, I got the inner length spacer correct but there wasn't enough room for the drive to fit between the brake disc bolts and the fork leg. I took it as thin as I could but the drive gear broke through and I still need a few more mm clearance.

John

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Looking good. So now you can use the zx6 as the fairing track whore and the gsxr can be the fighter track whore

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The lathe was a 40th birthday present to myself along with the workshop on the back of the garage, I have only just started learning how to use it over the winter. It was another ebay bargain at £560 but i don't think its paid for itself yet but by the time I have finished this bike it might have.

john

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And then this arrived this morning

its getting exciting now, I have got loads of bits arriving and I am going to head into the garage today.

John

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So after making up the front wheel spacers I found out that the wheel is offset and the spacers need to be different sizes and also thinner Back to the lathe then!

New spacer on the right.

New scrap lump of ally for the larger spacer with the axle through it just checking for size.

And all the bits ready to put in the bike.

The rest of the afternoon was taken up with helping my mate with an oil change and a noisy cam chain on a street triple.

John

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It finally stopped raining for a day so I dragged the gsxr out of the garage to get a better look at it. I had the bars for the zx12 top yoke so I am trying them out for size, I have also got another top yoke on its way for me to chop up to try some flat bars and renthals out. Being as this is going to be a track bike I am trying to not get too hooked up on the looks and concentrate on making it light and work well.

I should be able to get the cylinder head back tomorrow and then the engine can be rebuilt and painted.

John

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More bits have been arriving and my cylinder head was ready to collect from the spark eroders

I bid on a random Akra can and link pipe on ebay and won it for £50

When I got it home it only went and fitted the headers I had bought

john

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also needed my torque wrench to put the engine together and I realised that I had left it in my mates garage when I lived there eight years ago, so i popped over to pick it up and after some foraging around we found a few other tools of mine (and a mountainbike)

John

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyway after sorting through all the tools I got on with playing with the exhaust. I have a set of gsxr1000 K4 titanium headers that I got a while ago and when I offered up the link pipe this happened

The Headers don't line up with the ports so a bit of heat and some brute force got them into the right position and they were offered up to the bike to see how it looked.

And from the back, It seems I have accidentally bought the correct can for the gsxr!

John

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Onwards and upwards. the build continues. I had enough time to rebuild the engine

I had to helicoil one of the exhaust threads as the spark eroder had moved slightly and was misaligned.

And it was back in one piece

Today I was able to carry the engine outside and give it a proper good scrubbing

I poured some oil into the bores before I started and put some old plugs back in

I also soaked some rags in oil and jammed them into the ports

The paintwork isn't too bad, I will just paint the covers, starter and alternator

I took the plugs back out and left it to drain for a while

John

·
Fancy a brew?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also Had a little time to play with the subframe to get it to fit better. First of all i trimmed of some more of the old subframe

And I worked out where the rgv unit needed to fit and I started welding up the interface

Unfortunately I then ran out of spare time and had to go climbing so thats probably all for this week.

John

1 - 20 of 43 Posts