Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this 92 GSXR 750 I bought never had an ignition, complete harness, battery etc. So I don't know the state of the engine. I just tried to check if the pistons were free by putting a wrench on the front sprocket bolt and turning it the same way the chin would spin and that of course just broke the sprocket nut loose because I had to spin it left. So I tried turning it right. Sounded like the valve train moved a bit but then the nut wouldn't budge. This is of course with the engine now spinning the opposite way it would be if it were running so I stopped because I didn't know if it would fuck the timing up or something.

The trans is in 1st gear. I can't get it to bench shift into 2nd or higher. Does it sound like the engine is seized? Is there another way to manually turn the crankshaft? Is it okay to manually crank it over the opposite orientation it would normally rotate?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
did you lube the cyilinders?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Idk about those motors but there should be a cover on the bottom left hand side of the motor that is a circle and has a big slot in it. If you take that off you can use a socket or bolt to turn the motor over manually. Look up a manual for and find the section on checking the valves it will tell you how to turn the motor over manually.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Can you get to the starter solenoid and jump it?
And +1 on lube the cylinders...

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's no wiring harness installed at all so I COULD possibly rig some wiring to a battery to get the starter going but I don't wanna risk fucking anything up. There's no relay or anything. Just the starter and an engine sitting there. I thought about pouring some trans fluid in there and that's probably what will happen tomorrow. So can I rotate the engine the opposite way it runs without hurting anything? Cause like I said if I rotate the sprocket nut the same direction of the engines rotation it just breaks the nut loose, getting me nowhere.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,046 Posts
You're good with just the starter. The relay, or.starter solenoid, is just there to protect the switch.

Go ahead and hook your positive cable to the starter and get ready for sparks when you tap that negative lead somewhere.

Make sure you touch the neg lead somewhere it doesn't matter as its likely to burn/melt a little small spot. Try to find an area of steel if you can.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
I recently had to unstick my 86 gsxr 750 motor that had been sitting about a year. Pulled the plugs out, some ATF down the cylinders, wait an hour and just pop the side cover off and start rocking it back and forth, then when ya grow a set, push hard. That's when mine finally let go.

Then be sure to drain all the oil out as it will have atf in it. I took my oil pan off, which was good cause I cleaned all the sediment and what not out while I was there. Be sure to use a new gasket, mine didn't reseal, though I had the pan off on my other bike and it resealed, so It's a crap shoot.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No the engines in the frame. What do you mean by side cover? There's at least 3 things on this engine that can be called a side cover lol. The front sprocket cover? Anyways yeah I'll have to pick up some ATF today and give this another go. The main thing that makes this hard to really wrench on is there's no front end or rear wheel, its strapped to a small bike/ATV jack so the whole bike rocks quite a bit and its hard to get leverage without both legs sometimes. Anyone else wanna confirm that its okay to rotate the engine opposite was it spins when its running?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I really don't see any harm in spinning backwards, if it seems really hard leave it but if it starts to turn just give it a slow roll. Like "shinyribs" said, if it's timing components are connected I can't see where you can f it up.

BUT this is the internet. So 100% there is someone who will chime in and say it may do this or it may do that or I wouldn't because it could do that...

The choice is yours. I've spun plenty of motors backwards....:)

Just avoid impact wrenches :) And the big fucking hammers...

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
No the engines in the frame. What do you mean by side cover? There's at least 3 things on this engine that can be called a side cover lol. The front sprocket cover? Anyways yeah I'll have to pick up some ATF today and give this another go. The main thing that makes this hard to really wrench on is there's no front end or rear wheel, its strapped to a small bike/ATV jack so the whole bike rocks quite a bit and its hard to get leverage without both legs sometimes. Anyone else wanna confirm that its okay to rotate the engine opposite was it spins when its running?

the only thing id be concerned with is chain tensioner moving in reverse. otherwise, it would be non-interference spinning backwards.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
My thinking is running the engine backwards could mess with the chain tensioner by moving the slack. This would cause a timing issue. But I don't know, I'm just thinking of things that could be wrong spinning in reverse. I don't know if that is even possible.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts