Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time no post!

Ok so I've been in Australia for a while and got given a very ratty old GSX750F. They were called "Katana" in the Americas, not the rad old ones but you know the frumpy late model sport tourer? Yeah that one... Its near totally thrashed but does in fact run so I'm thinking about using the motor for a project.

Now here is the question. What differences if any are there between a real GSXR750 Slingshot and this thing?

G

·
Without knowing the year & the market the F was meant for or the slingy you want to campare it to its hard to give an exact list of the differances but heres the basic stuff to get you started

Softer cams on the F
ignition timing & advance
carbs
cc could be 748 or 749
hyvo or plain camchain
sump & pickup

loads of little bits around the engines depending on models but some is interchangable again depending on models

Theres not a lot wrong with the F engines BTW

Hope that helps :)

·
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its one of these
1993 GSX750F, Australian model.

I think its very similar to a 88-89 slingy 750. A few parts websites seem to list a high amount of interchangeable parts, but it seems like it at least has some "Tuned for torque" bullshit cams and maybe even smaller valves. It even has the audacity to have a "SLINGSHOT" sticker on its side.

As long as "Theres not a lot wrong with the F engines" it should be ok. I've grown out of worrying about outright performance of 20 year old engines and she'll be the 5th project bike on a 3rd continent so I'll be keeping it kind of mellow anyways.

G

·
It should be called a slingshot in a way although i know what you mean :) technically "slingshot" refers to the carbs

Now if you were to find a "dot" head & a set of K cams to throw in it with a bit of carb tuning & a decent exhaust you will be getting into proper gsxr slingy bhp or chuck an 1127 or bandit 12 lump in it & build yourself a sleeper :)

·
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the sleeper idea, that would be funny.

The engine might be going into a custom frame and the rest of the thing would be ebay-ed. I'm on the fence about doing that or just getting a Slingshot GSXR donor bike for the project.

·
Engorged Member
76 Posts
You have a Tuna, love it, chop it, hack it but dont expect it to keep up. Build it because you want to....

Build it for a quiet mind and busy hands.

and just fucking because

Qutoted from another place:

The term gets thrown around a bit. Commonly it's the limited edition homologation GSXR750R, aka "double-R" models. They had a lot of differences from the standard issue GSXR750. Most notable visually is solo seat tail and seat-of-the-pants is an extra 8-10 hp - which came from a different head and the Mikuni "Slingshot" semi-flatslide carbs. You'll see terms like Slingshot frame, swingarm, bodywork, etc... these are referring to the double-R's unique parts. Reality, only the carbs were real Slingshot. Slingshot is the name Mikuni gave the carbs with semi-spherical ridges on the slide faces smooth out air flow.

'88-'89 standard GSXR's got "Slingshot" style carbs, too, but they were only36mm, vs. the double-R's 40mm. In '90 the standard version got 38mm "Slingshot" carbs. These GSXR's will sometimes be referred to as Slingshot bikes, too... just less powerful than the double-R version...

...The Slingshot style carbs have since been used on many other bikes, including GSXR400's, DR650's, RF900's, GSXR1100's - and the B12 as well as many non-Suzuki applications.

PitterB4:
Good stuff, Paul. Thanks!

I know I've seen the B4s with "Slingshot" under the "SUZUKI" on the tank. It looked like it belonged there but I wasn't sure if it was some aftermarket, wannabe stuff or the real deal.

gsxr400 racer:
mines a sling shot , story goes there is a part on the slingshot carbs that open up some port for better fueling in the carbs.?

Gnome:
B12 has as standard 36mm carbs.

Dependant on year of GSXR 750 or 110, they came with a variety of carbs, and probably the best bet is a set of 38mm's.

Just remember, the larger the carbs, the more top end you gain, but the more mid range you loose..

G

·
If its any help in making a decision one of my projects has a 750 ready to go in it although thats just about up to slingy M spec now, the other has a 600/750 hybrid waiting in the wings :) plenty enough poke for most uses once you get them wound up imho although i do have bigger/faster stuff to ride when the mood takes :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts