Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Once You Go Italian...
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I thought that it might be useful to Fighters (and to myself for that matter) to list out the different smells and sounds that a bike might make which are indicators that one should do some maintenance or work on it.

I met a guy some years back, who said that he could smell and hear a bike and tell you exactly what it needed or what maintenance was needed. Was he full of crap?

Thoughts?

To be honest, I'm one of those guys who brings my bike in for service and things like that. Yes, I have the money to do it, but I'm getting inspired by all you architects to start doing my own work and whatnot.

Anybody wanna give some hints on this subject?

:doh:

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
if you bring your bike to be maintained chances are you are MILES off from being able to "smell what's wrong" dude

money is a suckers way out, if you have the money to do that picture all the tools you could get!

buy a manual and start simple and go further and further

·
fatass needs corndogs
436 Posts
Smell of oil burning in exhaust means your losing compression at the rings usually, need top-end rebuild. Smell "burning sugar" and you are burning antifreeze so coolant is getting into combustion chamber, either cracked head or head gasket failure. Only take apart a room temperature motor because its super easy to warp a hot head. Growling sounds typically indicate chain issues and can be too tight, too looseor not properly aligned. Smell of plastic burning probably means you have cooked a fairing or the tail, check for bent fairing stays and whatnot. Keep stuff away from exhaust.

·
Do a skid!
2,821 Posts
Smelling the seat can tell you a lot about maintenance. If it smells like shit then the bike was probably cannonballed to the moon and back and launched over ravines and canyons on numerous occasions leading to the owner crapping his dacks.. Give it a go bro. Sniff it long and deep.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
:thumbsup:

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
I met a guy some years back, who said that he could smell and hear a bike and tell you exactly what it needed or what maintenance was needed. Was he full of crap?
I could tell you exactly how full of crap he was if I could smell and hear him. Did he smell of booze / weed / cheezy clogne?

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
On a difernet subject one of my fave noises was the fins on the engine of a air cooled GS 1000, that had been thrashed, the fins used to make like a pinging noise, twas Awesome.

I dont neglect my bike but i often have a good fart on my fighter seat as im riding :)

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i love that sound. and as far as smelling things i had a fuel leak around the rear mount of my fuel tank and now and then i stop and smell the area. a lot easier than trying to see if there is fuel or touch it

Reactions: Fizzer_Fighter

·
Once You Go Italian...
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a difernet subject one of my fave noises was the fins on the engine of a air cooled GS 1000, that had been thrashed, the fins used to make like a pinging noise, twas Awesome.

I dont neglect my bike but i often have a good fart on my fighter seat as im riding :)
Yes, best part of bike. No lingering fart smell.

Reactions: willrob28

·
Jarhead Supreme
6,487 Posts
I mean, for smells sake, I can tell when a bike is running rich, or lean if I've been around it for a while. That has little bearing on the overall condition of a motorcycle.

I guess if you could smell things like burnt oil from rings going, or some esoteric voodoo crap, you may be able to bullshit your way into getting better deals when buying/selling.

·
Once You Go Italian...
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mean, for smells sake, I can tell when a bike is running rich, or lean if I've been around it for a while. That has little bearing on the overall condition of a motorcycle.

I guess if you could smell things like burnt oil from rings going, or some esoteric voodoo crap, you may be able to bullshit your way into getting better deals when buying/selling.
Haha. Yah, like. This bike smells like it going to he an awesome bike for you.

This other one here however smells like it's goin to suck.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Whenever chicks bring in bikes for service the first thing I do is smell the seat. Other than that all bikes have a smell. Not a great indication of needing service. Some bikes break of coolant with not a leak in sight.

·
Once You Go Italian...
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whenever chicks bring in bikes for service the first thing I do is smell the seat. Other than that all bikes have a smell. Not a great indication of needing service. Some bikes break of coolant with not a leak in sight.
Dude that's pretty gross... Ewww

·
Once You Go Italian...
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 58 Posts