Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

181 - 200 of 1582 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
I don't think I'm going to find any deals on the Marchesini wheels. :(

The project isn't progressing - so I just need to bite the bullet, pay the retail price and order the damn wheels already!

Should have the order completed in a couple of days. :shocker:

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
I meant to get the wheels and tires ordered yesterday, but I was too busy at work, and the same thing today.

So I get home from work and finally receive an email from Friendly Yamaha. I've sent 3 emails to them about the wheels and tires since 5/18, but never got any response - so I gave up.

REALLY lucky I didn't buy somewhere else - they're going to save me over $478 USD!! :rock: I placed the order tonight.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Need to make brackets for the steering dampener. I'd like to do custom triples, so maybe the front bracket could be designed into the new lower triple.

·
theman themyth thelegend
8,497 Posts
dude im jealous, wheels and an ohlins shock are my big purchases im waiting on, just those mods you know u have to have but the moneys jsut not there.

i llove following this build, it gives me that comfort in knowing that spending all my hard earned money is well worth it ;)

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
dude im jealous, wheels and an ohlins shock are my big purchases im waiting on, just those mods you know u have to have but the moneys jsut not there.

i llove following this build, it gives me that comfort in knowing that spending all my hard earned money is well worth it ;)
You can't discount the importance of good wheels on a custom build. Even idiots that don't know bikes or cars want nice wheels.

Because of the price on the Marchesini wheels, I thought about having some custom wheels made, instead. I'm just not confident that I could design a better looking AND safer wheel than the Marchesinis. They recently changed a design flaw on their Supermoto wheels, because racers were cracking the original ones.

The ohlins shock that I bought many years ago for the RZ350 was one of the best mods I've ever purchased. It was very pricey, but so worth it. I can only describe it as the pinnacle of plushness. When the bike hits potholes or speedbumps, the rear end makes a big "thud" sound, but you can't feel anything.

I think you're doing the right thing by saving up for the parts you really want. It was really hard for me to pull the trigger on these wheels, because of the cost - but I think I'll feel better about it when the bike is done.

·
theman themyth thelegend
8,497 Posts
You can't discount the importance of good wheels on a custom build. Even idiots that don't know bikes or cars want nice wheels.

Because of the price on the Marchesini wheels, I thought about having some custom wheels made, instead. I'm just not confident that I could design a better looking AND safer wheel than the Marchesinis. They recently changed a design flaw on their Supermoto wheels, because racers were cracking the original ones.

The ohlins shock that I bought many years ago for the RZ350 was one of the best mods I've ever purchased. It was very pricey, but so worth it. I can only describe it as the pinnacle of plushness. When the bike hits potholes or speedbumps, the rear end makes a big "thud" sound, but you can't feel anything.

I think you're doing the right thing by saving up for the parts you really want. It was really hard for me to pull the trigger on these wheels, because of the cost - but I think I'll feel better about it when the bike is done.
i just realized im in your motard build thread, lol. i thought i was in your other build thread, and then i got thinking and i said i thought he already had dymag wheels? lol.

all the credit in the world to you doing 2 badass builds at once, im having trouble with one :D

btw, i dont have the guts to by an ohlins shock full price so im looking on every roadrace forum and ebay everyday for used fox, penske, and ohlins shocks, hopefully one will pop up.

im looking at the durrani wheels as they seem the most affordable at 1500 i believe for a set, but if money wasnt an issue id have the cf bst wheels, lol.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
I worked all night and when I was leaving this morning, I told my buddy that I ordered the wheels and Power One tires. He said- "What compound did you get?"

I had searched the retailers, and I only saw one compound for the Power One tires, so I thought that as it. We looked on the computer at work, but couldn't find anything about other compounds, other than A, B, or C type slick compounds (there are Power One slicks, rain tires, and 5% tread groove).

When I got home, I called Michelin USA. I was told there is just one Power One compound, but there may be race compounds available. They don't have information on Michelin race tires! :wtf:

After a lot of searching, I found out that the Power One DOT-approved race rubber comes in 20 different models and eight different sizes with nine different rubber compounds. These are only available at trackside race tire distributors. The Power One tires available at retail outlets are the 2CT compound. The race compounds are WAY better for the track (after 30 minutes of tire warming) than the 2CT compound, but I think I'll be able to go faster on the street with the 2CT compound.

I don't think I could get the race compound tires up to operating temperature on the street (or track) with the supermoto bike, so the 2CT compound should give me better grip.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,547 Posts
and now your a glove wearing tire scientist too! :metal:

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
i just realized im in your motard build thread, lol.

btw, i dont have the guts to by an ohlins shock full price so im looking on every roadrace forum and ebay everyday for used fox, penske, and ohlins shocks, hopefully one will pop up.
I've made the same mistake before. :D

Don't worry about buying a used Ohlins - mine is over 20 years old, and I'm still happy with it.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
sheesh, so a lot of to do about nothing, eh.
True that. Just a look at my insanity over trying to get the correct part. Because I'm so anal and have to check every part like this - these bike projects really take a long time.

It sucks to be mental, but it leads to a mental bike build. :D

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Thought about turning this bike into a street legal superfly deuce, but it's probably better to start with a legal bike. (It would attract a lot of attention.) I'd rather use a streetbike, too.

I definitely want to build a custom street sidehacker when my current projects are done. :knucks:

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
i think that pic is great, #32 looking up at #12. I cant imagine how those things would handle in the air. Or want to be the guy on the platform with very little suspension:)

kawasaki versys has one heck of a bright tail light. its a little on the big side for what you want though.

http://www.ridetherock.com/gallery2/d/5728-1/05Versys.jpg

what about sv1000 lights?

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Thought about turning this bike into a street legal superfly deuce, but it's probably better to start with a legal bike. (It would attract a lot of attention.) I'd rather use a streetbike, too.

I definitely want to build a custom street sidehacker when my current projects are done. :knucks:

"Dude, don't they know you're just supposed to ride over the bump not jump it??"

181 - 200 of 1582 Posts