Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1582 Posts

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
I just read through your motard post, and I'm a much smarter man for doing so. I had the same idea about doing a slicked up motard / fighter bastard stepchild, but it's just an idea at this point.

I'm totally in awe of the raw amount of cash you can throw at this project to make it the way that you've envisioned it. I usually have to modify my ideas to conform to my available cash and what parts I have. And then I have to take in to account my skills with the hardware.

it's a fine balance to keep and I wish I could take the path you're on instead.

Sweet build though, can't wait to see how you solve these problems.

Sympul

Reactions: QuiCkSiLv3R

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
I'm totally in awe of the raw amount of cash you can throw at this project to make it the way that you've envisioned it. I usually have to modify my ideas to conform to my available cash and what parts I have. And then I have to take in to account my skills with the hardware.

it's a fine balance to keep and I wish I could take the path you're on instead.
It's the same for me. No way can I afford to build my bikes in the way I've invisioned them. (I can envision some REALLY expensive stuff! :D) Example - On my streetfighter, I wanted Joe Osmon to wrap the tank, tail, and side plastic with gunmetal carbon fiber, and do a solid red carbon fiber inlay stripe down the middle. His work is near-perfect, but no way could I afford his prices. [He said the gunmetal carbon is new, and no one else is using it, and he's the only person in the country that can get solid red carbon.]

A lot of people post about how much money I'm spending, but if you add it all up, I doubt it's enough to buy a decent new Ducati. I still think there are a lot of more expensive bikes on the road. I'm definitely trying to build bikes that can hang with those high-end machines.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,547 Posts
i might know someone who can get access to it. altho i dont reccommend doing business with him as he is a rich spoiled little fuck. his father runs a company that does CF work for the military. so they have like first dibs on all CF in the states from what i understand. i could get you the info, but i repeat i dont recommend working with him. if you could do the simple transaction of buying the CF off him sure. dont do more than that tho. trust me.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
his father runs a company that does CF work for the military. so they have like first dibs on all CF in the states from what i understand.
Joe told me the solid red carbon fiber material is from Germany.

I hope the carbon fiber work on both my project bikes comes out really good, so I can shove it in Joe's high-priced face. :D

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Ordering these stems today, so that I'll be ready to mount and balance when the wheels arrive.

I'd better find a rear sprocket, too.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Seems like none of these sprockets matches up well with the design of the wheel. Any of them will function well, so it's just a matter of aesthetics.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
This bike won't have twin MX-style radiators mounted up high, just a single radiator under the frame. Since the SXV fuel tank is shaped for MX radiators, I'd like to make a custom tank out of aluminum.

Did a rough photoshop of the shape.

Before:

After:

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
hey smoker, who is gonna build the tank?
I'd like to cut the pieces myself, but I'll need help bending them, since I don't have a break.

For the aluminum welding, I hope RGV Steve can do it. I don't know any good local welders (although there are many in SoCal), and Steve did some nice welds on the R6 to RZ500 swinger conversion.

I'm thinking about cutting the filler mount (pic) out of billet and then welding it in. Then I could use any modern sportbike flush fuel cap.

·
I been fightin' gravity
7,473 Posts
I was doing the exact same thing with the filler cap, even have the huge chunk I started to turn on the lathe. Then I decided it was too much work for nothing. I was adding complexity, and weight, where i shouldn't.

201 - 220 of 1582 Posts