Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

241 - 260 of 1582 Posts

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Do you read Italian?

Everything listed on that diagram for the instument panel is in Italian. I can make out some of it, but I loose a lot of it.

Here's what I got so far though...

Box #4 is the gauge.

Numbers 1-4 are your idiot lights.

1) RH blinker
2) LH Blinker
3) Neutral
4) High Beam

5) Speedo input. Looks like it runs a Hall effect magnet, probably from the trans.

6) Scroll, which I'm thinking is to scroll through the ODO, Trip, etc. Also looks like the button for that is actually on the LH handle bar switch.

7) Oil Pressure light

8) -

9) Fuel level

10)-

11) 12V+ Switch power

12) Goes to port 16 on the ECU. I think this is where you're going to get all your display data from. ODO, engine dignostic codes, FI stuff.

13) Ground. Looks like everything in the dash shares common ground from this port.

14) 12v+ BAT. Also runs inline to the fuse box and out to the bat and starter relay.

15-17) -

18) ECU, Probably more input stuff.

I think the biggest challange is going to be hooking up the speedo and Tach. Tach might not be so bad if you can figure out which port it gets input from. It looks like there's some resistor and a repeater that it's fead pulses from in the system. Since you're going to be using a 2 stroke, the input value is going to be different. You'll need to play around with resistors to get it right most likley. The speedo is going to be another pulse generator senario, and most likely some sort of resistance value.
This most likley feeds the ODO function as well.

Fuel gauge is going to be a resistor type if it's bar gauge, or a needle type. If it's an idiot light you might get lucky and it's an on/off switch in the tank. If you hook an ohms meter up to it and move the float you can figure it out.

If you loose anything, it's going to be the water temp gauge. The ECU reads that value first to adjust the fuel map, then it's sent out to the dash.

If you can find a pdf of the full service manual, I can probaly dig into it further and see what reads what for the display and the speedo/ tach.

Just make sure it's in English ;)

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
The one thing I really like about Italian bikes is the design details.

Not only does the key have the triangle/wedge design that is prevalent on the bike - even the KEYHOLE gets the design treatment. :D

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Scraps- thank you very much for taking the time to review the SXV schematic.

I didn't get any farther than you did with it. I used AltaVista Babelfish to translate the Italian.

It looks like the water temp sender signal is split to the ECU and the instrument panel, so maybe it will display the temp, not sure on that one.

The fuel tank will be custom built, so hopefully, I can figure out how to install a proper float/sensor.

The odometer may be calculated from the hall sensor on the front wheel, so I'm wondering if that would work.

The pulse to run the tachometer is another issue, which I think would be mostly trial and error.

It seems like the SXV dash might work, but I'm also looking at some universal-type dash setups.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
The 2006 - 2008 SXVs have a rectangle headlight:

I like the headlight on the 2009 model, so I'm working on getting the '09 headlight and headlight fairing. The headlight fairing needs to be chopped, since I don't want to use the front fender. I hate to chop new parts, but I can't find them used.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Got the headlight, windscreen and lower support. I thought about using a different headlight, but this shape is perfect for the bike. The blue taped part of the windscreen will be getting the chop.

I knew the lower support would cause the headlight to stick out farther than I wanted, but I thought it might be possible to chop the support and reattach it with the headlight closer to the forks.

No such luck, can't use the lower support and wasted $35. Oh, well - won't need a lower support with the new headlight brackets, anyway.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Relocating the ignition so the headlight can sit closer to the forks. The ignition needs to be more flush with the frame, but will be in this general vicinity.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,029 Posts
Glad to see things progressing, and damn you Smoker for having such cool shit and boundless talent to put parts to good use.

:D

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,547 Posts
i need to book a flight and come hang out with you!

·
uber newb!
534 Posts
dang man, i keep forgetting that your workign on more then one build at a time! i love this build just as much as your other. and i cant wait to see it finished and tearing it up!

keep up the good work, on all the fronts!

-levi

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Just got the word from QTMI.

The gold wheels won't be shipped from Marchesini until (at least) October 2nd.
This is getting to be re-god-damned-diculous! :doh:

I'll just keep working on other stuff until they arrive.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
I guess you gotta wait for Jizz-at-first-sight, heavenly perfection. :D

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Ordered a pair of red Ariete 90 degree valve stems for the wheels.

Will be ordering a Supersprox 46 tooth rear sprocket within a couple of days.

Thinking about going with 18/46 or 17/46 sprockets.

The 18/46 (max speed 118.9) would be just slightly lower than the 16/40 (max speed 120.3) sprockets on the RZ streetfighter. The 17/46 (max speed 112.2) would be quite low, but maybe good for a motard. The 17 inch wheels also lower the ratio further below stock. Need to think about how much highway miles the bike will actually see.

I calculated the OEM top speed at 129.8 with 17/40 sprockets and stock 110/80-18 rear tire.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
The wheels have not left Italy yet. They are now saying that the wheels will be leaving Italy by the end of the month.

We’re not sure what the delay is, but this isn’t entirely uncommon for Marchesini. We are doing our best to get them released asap and will keep you posted on the progress.

:doh:

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Just to step in for the poor downtrodden parts dude... He's stuck, he's letting you know why things are taking so long, he's promised to get ahold of you as and when, and you're gonna get the parts. I know you know this, I also know how difficult it is telling someone calling up every day that you haven't gotten the parts yet.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Just to step in for the poor downtrodden parts dude... He's stuck, he's letting you know why things are taking so long, he's promised to get ahold of you as and when, and you're gonna get the parts. I know you know this, I also know how difficult it is telling someone calling up every day that you haven't gotten the parts yet.
I hear you. I've been really good about it. I've only emailed about the parts when they are due, which has been once per month for the past 3 or 4 months. And I haven't complained at all to Friendly Yamaha (retailer) or QTMI (distributor).

I know that if I start complaining, that same company might not want to work with me in the future. BUT, if someone fucks up enough or screws me over so much that I don't want to work with them - watch out for my bad side! :voodoo:

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
If you don't want to hack up the stock bike in great shape, I've got a currently CA registered 85 RZ350 in need of a new bottom and top end (and forks, and some other stuff) that I'd let go reasonably cheap.
PM sent!

I'm looking for an '85 RZ350NC (California). I really only need the frame and engine casing with a matching VIN. Also need the electricals, but could get them separately.

Only took me 6 months to figure out this is a good idea. :doh:

241 - 260 of 1582 Posts