Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

321 - 340 of 1591 Posts

·
I shit awesomeness
16,625 Posts
i check out that blog everyday.

i've even linked him to follow smokers builds. He will post up the pics on his site once its all complete.

·
I shit awesomeness
16,625 Posts
how much work is involved with putting the RZ engine in there?

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
First time I looked at this thread, all I can say is WOW!

·
BLACK BELT
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
how much work is involved with putting the RZ engine in there?
Been staring at the RZ engine and SXV frame for hours since yesterday just trying to figure out what it's going to take. The biggest problem is probably the pipes. I spent a lot of time trying to design some MX style (up) pipes, but didn't come up with anythng good. There's not going to be a lot of ground clearance with the down pipes, but I'll have to deal with it.

The other big issues are: The frame needs to be modified where it hits the intake manifolds, the intake manifolds need to be modified for clearance, and moving the carbs up and back to access the choke and idle screws through the frame. (This is looking at the stock carbs - still have to determine what carbs will be best). To get more ground clearance, I'd like to raise up the engine in the frame - which also looks better - but then the front sprocket is quite higher than the swingarm pivot.

Gonna take a break and then go to the hardware store to start getting parts to mock up the engine location. Also thinking about machined aluminum pieces to connect the tubing for the engine supports. More later.

·
BLACK BELT
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
im curious(probably asked this already) about how the tubing portion of the frame attaches to the cast side pieces.
There are holes drilled through the aluminum rear frame. The tubes of the steel front frame go through the holes, and bolts go in from the opposite side. There is also some kind if rubber-like adhesive in the hole for damping and strength. I'll see if I can find a pic.

I have concerns about powder-coating the frame, so I'll probably only paint, but I still need to weld engine mounts onto the steel and aluminum portions of the frame. That's probably not good.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
very much so i love it

Reactions: Smoker

·
BLACK BELT
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
The biggest problem.

Even if I move the engine around, it's not going to make more clearance where the pipes pass under the frame rail.

[Not the actual pipes - just a generic example.]

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
I really think that up style pipes could be done....

you can't fabricate those though can you? Maybe you could email that pic to a expansion chamber fabricator and see if he thinks there is room for mx style pipes.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
hmm. I dont see where the pipes would have room to pass through the frame. Especially with the shock res on the shock body. What about swapping to a banshee motor and flipping the cylinders around so the pipes come out the back :)

Thats a tough problem there smoker. Is that pipe in the pic an RD400 pipe? Do you have any banshee pipes laying around? i know its a different setup on the motors but the pipes still fit right. at least to check routing.

321 - 340 of 1591 Posts