Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

341 - 360 of 1582 Posts

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,547 Posts
if you want to go up and over, maybe talk to Jaybuilt? He did that with his xj.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Are you planning on having expansion chambers custom made, or do you have to fit existing ones?

Here's some pretty common banshee routing:

The biggest problem i see is that you dont have nearly enough room in front of the cylinders to make that happen.

Here's a pic where you can see pipes a little more easily:

I think you could work off this idea, but make chambers that loop down lower and cross each other (left dumping on right side/right dumping on left), to get some of that length needed before the big diameter section. Do you think that would work well enough to make them fit and not hit the forks?

I think up style pipes are def the way to go, if possible.

I dont think adam's idea of jaybuilt style pipes over the frame is possible.

I also kinda like the thought of flipping the cylinder around and facing the pipes back. Shift, why did you suggest a banshee cylinder for that? wouldn't the powervalve of the RZ motor still fit fine flipped around? or is the linkage for the powervalve the problem?

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
[Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll try to add more info, so you guys can see deeper into the problem.]

For anyone not familiar with two stroke pipes, here's a pic of how up pipes are typically routed through the frame, so the rider's leg doesn't get cooked. The SXV frame isn't open in this area.

The SXV frame isn't a good configuration for an up pipe or a down pipe. There's an open triangle big enough to pass the converging cone through - but it would intrude on the fuel tank/petcock space.

The radiator(s) and up pipes need to occupy the same space. The up pipes could wrap around the radiator, but the pipes would stick out a lot. The main problem is the coolant inlet on the clutch casing - even if I welded on a new inlet, the pipe would still stick out past the engine casing, and the pipe would be near the radiator hose.

There are also downsides to up pipes. With up pipes, you feel heat all the time you're riding. They would be close to the bottom and sides of the radiator, fuel tank, electricals, and under the seat. Up pipes would also get wasted when the bike goes down.

The RZ350 cylinders can be reversed, but there's not enough clearance for the carbs between the engine and front tire. Using 90 degree intakes would move the carbs out to the sides, but the air filters would completely stick out past the engine casings. The pipes might fit with some modification to the subframe, but the bellys would be right under my nutsack. [My RZ500 has the same heat issue, and I don't like it.]

The pipe in the previous post is a Toomey pipe for the RZ350. Don't have any Banshee pipes, they use different mounts on the exhaust ports.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,547 Posts
I like that setup smoker!

·
uber newb!
534 Posts
just a thought,

so if you put the motor as high up as you can and still work well with your sproket and swingarm

would this give you enough room up front to have some swoppy pipes take up most of the space under the rad and the motor, hopefully all the necking down would be done soon enough that only the small neck would pass by the swingarm pivot to move back. mind you the pipes would have to snake around alot to make up length... but could look pretty freaking awsome

unless im missing something pretty obvious...(like complexity or cost or i dunno what)

-Levi

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
What about moving the fuel tank and running up pipes?

Put a fuel tank in that area. I know the rear shock is there but it's the only open space I see on the bike.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
just a thought,

so if you put the motor as high up as you can and still work well with your sproket and swingarm

would this give you enough room up front to have some swoppy pipes take up most of the space under the rad and the motor, hopefully all the necking down would be done soon enough that only the small neck would pass by the swingarm pivot to move back. mind you the pipes would have to snake around alot to make up length... but could look pretty freaking awsome

unless im missing something pretty obvious...(like complexity or cost or i dunno what)

-Levi
Could move the engine upwards an inch or more, but may cause more rear end problems than just having the front sprocket level but farther away from the swingarm pivot (than the SVX engine). The radiator is directly over the pipes, so there isn,'t much more room to wrap the pipes around. The exhaust ports also angle downward, so the pipes have to start out that way.

I don't think ovaling the pipes is as bad as making tight bends, so flattened downpipes should be okay, if done correctly.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,547 Posts
i guess a belly tank like jaybuilt did is out of question due to ground clearance?

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
I know the shock is there, but maybe you could do some kinda of cylindrical tank. I know it's a ridiculous thought, but at least it's some sort of idea. :)

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Photoshopped about an inch off the bottom of the pipe and wrapped the baffle cone around the frame. The stingers would go into the subframe and out under the rear fender. I think the width of the oval downpipes will make them look okay, and they would fit much tighter to the engine.

I don't think flattening the pipes will hurt the performance too much. Hakan Carlqvist successfully raced a factory works 490 (for a couple of years) that had this pancake pipe:

And of course Eddie Lawson's 500 grand prix OW81 flat pipes:

Got the idea from remembering a bike my best friend owned as a teen-ager:

A guy in GB named Kenny offered to make the oval pipes for me. He makes kick-ass pipes for the RZ350. Good thing, as I'm not sure if Brian Turfrey would make oval pipes. However, not easy for Kenny to make the custom pipes - with the bike being in California.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
Leveled the bike, then leveled the front sprocket center with the swingarm pivot center and leveled the horizontal split in the engine casings with the bike/floor.

Need to finish the design for the engine mounts & order some aluminum and steel.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
cant wait to hear it

341 - 360 of 1582 Posts