Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

381 - 400 of 1589 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Well, talk is cheap - but buying bikes isn't!

I've been saying I want to do this swap with an '85 RZ350 California, to make the bike "more legal" and less likely to be crushed by tree-hugging law enforcement. Then I can put the mockup engine back in the non-USA '87 RZ350 and use it as a daily driver.

Looks like I may have closed the deal on an '85 RZ350 California. No money has changed hands yet, but I think the deal is solid. More info soon.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Your gonna let me ride that when your done right? lol
Only if you're willing to refund the NASA budget used to build it, lol

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Thought I had the deal locked up, but it looks like it depends if he still has it on Saturday. I'm trying to give him a deposit to hold it, but I think he'd rather sell it locally than drive over 400 miles round trip to deliver it to me (even though I'm giving him extra money).

He was asking $3,200, but said he would give it to me for $3,000 plus $100 to deliver it. I took his offer, and never tried to lower the price.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
And just to think.. you could have bought the rest of the titanium bolts for the first project with the money you just spent on another bike :doh: lol
This beautiful classic motorcycle will be sacrificed and cannibalized to feed 3 hungry two-strokers, thirsting for life and awaiting rebirth as super-mondo fuck the world I'm-running-over-your-ass custom fighters. :runovasmiley:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
This beautiful classic motorcycle will be sacrificed and cannibalized to feed 3 hungry two-strokers, thirsting for life and awaiting rebirth as super-mondo fuck the world I'm-running-over-your-ass custom fighters. :runovasmiley:
That's what I like to hear!!! :metal:

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
I bent the flexible mockup exhaust pipe into at least a hundred different shapes and stuck it into every hole I could find on the bike.

I still like the first way the best.

If I shorten the pipe, it would be easier to route, but would be detrimental to the performance. So let me exhaust all the possibilities with the long pipe. :D

I don't think there will be enough front wheel clearance if I cross over the pipes, but I'm gonna try.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
wow that new purchase looks super clean. So explain again what you are doing with it? is the CA engine going into the smoker, then your 87 non us going in the CA frame?
Okay. The bike that's arriving on Saturday is the '85 RZ350 California. The engine, frame numbers/headstock, electricals, and licence plate will go on the motard. The fuel tank and side panels will be used as spares for the streetfighter RZ (also an '85) so I don't have to ride around with the carbon parts while testing & tuning. Since I'm using the California engine in the motard, I can return the '87 engine to the non-USA RZ and make it a daily driver.

A cop could give me a ticket for no smog equipment, modified engine, and modified exhaust on either '85 RZ350 - but if I could throw on the original pipes and smog equipment for an inspection, I could get the ticket written off. Don't know how I could actually do that, but that's how it works.

A cop could pull the registration and impound the '87 RZ350 because it was never a California bike (or a USA bike). It's from Canada - but I was able to get it plated. It's cool to ride around, but I shouldn't put too much money and time into it, just in case.

I don't want to get pulled over by a cop asking - "What the hell is this two stroke SXV doing on the street?" and then have him find out it's a non-USA bike. I'd rather be able to say - "Yes, this is how I restored my '85 California RZ." :LolLolLolLol:

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
There are a lot of brackets welded to the SXV frame. Don't think I can use any of them, so they'll need to go.

In this pic, about half of the brackets are gone.

It looks like the frame is completely stripped, but there are still a couple of brackets hiding underneath.

Removing the brackets on this frame is extremely difficult - can't get an angle grinder to fit in the spaces, hand files bang into other bars on the frame, and the dremel takes a long time and is tough to finish with.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Get one of these. I got this one for $15, and it's TINY, much smaller than my big angle grinder. It's super handy for exactly what you're saying, i use it too clean up stick welds and any other protrusions or damage.

Just a thought.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Get one of these. I got this one for $15, and it's TINY, much smaller than my big angle grinder. It's super handy for exactly what you're saying, i use it too clean up stick welds and any other protrusions or damage.

Just a thought.
That's a nice tool. I have a right angle drill that will do a similar job, but neither tool will fit between the bars on the frame. The grinding disk needs to be very close to the handle.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Sweet build smoker.

Is there any way to move the rad up and under the rear fender? It is hard to tell by the pics but if that is possible it could help solve that exhaust problem.
I don't think so. The rear fender is narrow, and the exhaust pipes take up the space under there.

·
V4's FTW
10,492 Posts
Smoker, what you want is a finger sander. Available in electric or pneumatic, from a bunch of different companies.

Edit: tip of it is usually about .5" x .5", tapers to .5" x .75" over a 6" length

381 - 400 of 1589 Posts