Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1589 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,063
welded stainless to mild plenty ,works fine
That doesn't make it right. :D

I don't know. The exhaust on this bike is a touchy subject.

Still don't have anyone lined up to make it, out of any kind of metal.

Brian Turfrey didn't open my PM right away, so I deleted it. I'll still ask him for stainless pipes, but I want a backup plan - which might be using different mild steel and rod than he usually does.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,065
Welding it with silicon bronze wire would be right, and would give a unique look (like brazing).
Interesting idea. Thanks for that.

Couldn't find many pics of mild steel welded with silicon bronze wire, but sounds good.

Also looking at maybe using 309 stainless rod with mild steel. Not sure what other rods might be a good choice. Not sure if the specific type of mild steel would make any difference.

One problem might be asking the pipe fabricator to use materials that he's not used to. Will have to wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Welding it with silicon bronze wire would be right, and would give a unique look (like brazing).

I think that goes along well with what you were asking before about the coloring for exhaust welds. It would definitely be interesting to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,067
I think that goes along well with what you were asking before about the coloring for exhaust welds. It would definitely be interesting to see it.
Right. We're onto a different subject here, which is the pipe/cone fabrication.

Mild steel TIG welded with silicon bronze rod sounds pretty cool. Here's a pic of a root pass with a filler run of sibronze. Looks great, but not sure if it will hold up on thin, 2-stroke pipes, though. Cracking might be an issue.

Got a feeling it might be too difficult for a pipe fabricator. Would hate for it to look like this:

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,072
Just wanted to include this response. Also stopping by to see Roger the welder today, so I'll ask his opinion.

"Hi Smoker, TIG brazing is pretty straight forward as for using 309 filler for mild steel thats a no no as its a complete mis-match makes no sense.
In industry we always use welding fillers which are compatible with base materials and would never use s/s filler on mild steel to mild steel, in service the weld will fail. You can though weld mild steel to stainless using 309. Not to get to technical its all down to avoiding "hot cracking" which is controlled by ferrite levels."

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,073
Got a great response yesterday from a master pipe builder.

Was asking about using different filler rods.

He said- "I don't know, I never use filler rod." :D

I checked the JL pipes I have, and the tiny welds are completely flat. Obviously, no rod was used. Other pipes I have, do have a raised bead - so I guess you get what you pay for.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,074
Drilled the two silencer blanks and inserted heli-coils. These new silencers have o-rings - the original Toomey silencers didn't.

I took the stainless exhaust flanges back to the machine shop to reduce the flange thickness. One got bent and had to be remade. When I got the new one home it didn't look right. I asked for 0.062" but it was 0.052". Now it's too thin! Back to the machine shop and said I'll pay for another. Machinist said- "Just for 10 thousandths?" Fuck me- that's more than 15% off on the length. Both flanges are now done.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,075
If I copied the aluminum silencer end caps exactly, the stainless weight would be 240g.

My design has them down to 116g. The aluminum caps are 83g.

Still need to take off a little more. I asked for an O.D. of 2.250". The machinist cut them to 2.252 and they don't fit. I put a mic on the originals, and they're actually 2.248". Back to the shop again.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,077
engineer must love you
Dude, that's what I'm talking about! :thumbsup:

No machinist ever seems happy to make revisions on a part.

I paid $40 usd per flange and end cap. I don't even think they charged me for revisions or remaking the flange twice. I always say- "Charge me whatever you want or need to." but I usually get charged "friend prices" wherever I go. Last visit to Roger the welder was $40 usd. Roger took time off from an insane project for Disney Japan to help me out, while he was telling me about his project deadline.

Not complaining for sure. It's a great thing when people like my project and enthusiasm.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,078
My current plan for mild steel pipes, if possible.

Use those stainless exhaust flanges, use stainless for the first section of pipes (engine side), and make the brackets out of machined stainless. Then TIG braze the stainless parts to the mild steel and polish the stainless parts. And TIG weld the mild steel.

1061 - 1080 of 1589 Posts