Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1589 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,101
Been working on connecting the exhaust tips to the silencers.

More difficult than I thought to do it right. Making tight curves is more difficult with tubing vs. making rolled cones. With tubing, the angle cuts can only be slightly different - otherwise the edges won't match up well. That's why there are so many sections on that Ferrari exhaust pic I posted elsewhere.

It's even more difficult because I need a small, tight "S" shaped connection.

I started cutting and shaping some small pieces, but I don't have the proper tools to make accurate cuts. To get it right will take lots of trial-and-error, and some luck. My hands are fucking sore today from working on stainless tubing pieces.

Now trying something different.

Designing a titanium bracket that will bolt onto the subframe exhaust tip holes. The bracket will have threaded bosses to relocate the exhaust tips. Maybe I can get a better angle to simplify the tip-to-silencer connection.

First, I need to fabricate a bracket that is adjustable for height and width.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,107
Second prototype adapter bolts in, but is too tall.

Gonna shave it down 2mm and see where it's at.

Nobody noticed the new white plastic. :D

Decided on gold titanium nitride coating for the exhaust tips.

Will give a nice splash of gold to the tail.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,108
Cut down the 2nd aluminum adapter 2mm and gave it a try.

Close, but will need to cut new tubes to fit perfectly.

I went ahead and secured the exhaust tips.

Not happy.

I left a one-finger space between the exhaust tips and the plastic - but it's too much. Now moving the exhaust tips as close as I can to the tail.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,110
Yep, another 5mm was too much. Basically, starting over.

Need to make another adapter anyway, because I want to move the holes.

As is, the exhaust tips are close to being flush with the tail plastic. But, I want the tips to stick out some more. So, need to move the holes. Will also need to cut new tubes with different angles.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,116
Need a filler, cap and vent for the fuel tank.

Want this, but can't find it anywhere. Will probably have to special order.

It's small. O.D. is 80mm.

·
forks and valves... WTF?
671 Posts
Need a filler, cap and vent for the fuel tank.

Want this, but can't find it anywhere. Will probably have to special order.

It's small. O.D. is 80mm.

So is the plan to cut off the threaded portion of the SXV tank and mount this cap to the narrow flat surface around the base of the threads? Just curious how that will work.

·
forks and valves... WTF?
671 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,120
So is the plan to cut off the threaded portion of the SXV tank and mount this cap to the narrow flat surface around the base of the threads? Just curious how that will work.
The plastic OEM fuel tank just won't do. Not using the OEM radiators or fuel pump, so it won't look right.

There's an aftermarket aluminum SXV tank. I checked it to see if it could be modded, but I don't think it would work out well.

So, it looks like I need a full custom tank. And no ordinary aluminum tank.

First, the tank will be all flat pieces with straight edges. The only curves are on the fuel filler. The tank is sandwiched between the frame and the seat, and the seat attaches to the tank. The tank also needs extra aluminum pieces on the sides to fill in the bodywork.

I have a vague idea of what the tank should look like. I'll probably need to mock it up with cardboard, just to get a better idea of how it should go together. The tank will be naked aluminum with the welds showing.

I'm not confident at all about constructing this tank. Here's a previous photoshop of an aluminum SXV tank. Not exactly what I want, but sort-of.

1101 - 1120 of 1589 Posts