Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1589 Posts

·
forks and valves... WTF?
671 Posts
The plastic OEM fuel tank just won't do. Not using the OEM radiators or fuel pump, so it won't look right.

There's an aftermarket aluminum SXV tank....
I understand not using the OEM fuel tank, but aluminum? I would have expected a VDB (or VDB replica) tank would be much more in line with your build style.

Also curious why not using the original radiators? They are in a good location and should be more than adequate for the RZ engine.

Anyway, cool build. :rock:

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,122
I understand not using the OEM fuel tank, but aluminum? I would have expected a VDB (or VDB replica) tank would be much more in line with your build style.

Also curious why not using the original radiators? They are in a good location and should be more than adequate for the RZ engine.

Anyway, cool build. :rock:
When you say VDB, I assume you mean a carbon tank. Well, I spent big money on carbon parts for my WR250X before I figured out - I don't like carbon parts on dirt bikes. Don't know what else to say.

There're a lot of custom aluminum parts on this bike with nice welding beads. The tank should fit right in.

OEM SXV radiators would be in the same space as the pipes.

I saw your (2) Aprilias. Look like mucho fun!

·
forks and valves... WTF?
671 Posts
When you say VDB, I assume you mean a carbon tank. Well, I spent big money on carbon parts for my WR250X before I figured out - I don't like carbon parts on dirt bikes. Don't know what else to say.

There're a lot of custom aluminum parts on this bike with nice welding beads. The tank should fit right in.

OEM SXV radiators would be in the same space as the pipes.

I saw your (2) Aprilias. Look like mucho fun!
As always, you have the project very well thought out.

I completely agree that carbon gets pretty beat up on dirt bikes. Not sure why Aprilia went with carbon on the VDB bikes... but I guess when you're competing for world championships every little bit helps.

Okay, understood on the radiators... I was wondering how you'd route the chambers.

Ya, the XVs are a blast. Most fun I've had on a 4-stroke... maybe most fun of any bike.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,124
Okay, understood on the radiators... I was wondering how you'd route the chambers.
I don't like up-pipes or down-pipes on this bike.

It's like Trump or Hillary. Either way is bad!

Down-pipes would work for street only, but take up the ground clearance which looks bad.

Keep in mind, I love the downpipe on my WR250X. But, its a 4T pipe, not fat chambers.

·
forks and valves... WTF?
671 Posts
I don't like up-pipes or down-pipes on this bike.

It's like Trump or Hillary. Either way is bad!
Ha ha, I love this analogy! so I guess the question is... what would Johnson do? I've seen chambers routed around the sides, but also look very odd. Interesting dilemma on this build.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,126
Damn, I can't get my bearings straight. How about a full side shot of the bike?
I'll try to get that pic this weekend.

Sent an email to the manufacturer of the fuel tank, but no reply. Sent a second email (to a different address) to find a US distributor, also no reply.

Titanium bar still sitting untouched at the machine shop.

Need to push on, and keep working. :sven: :knucks: :remi: :punkvernie: :panzer: :gavin: :mm: :scrapyard:

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Always inspired by your builds, love all the detail. I have owned many 2 strokes in my day but have never built a project with one. After seeing your stuff it really makes me want to find a donor project.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,133
is the TiN just to make them gold ?
It's functional on a significant amount of the hardware. The rest just has to match.

I haven't seen anyone do ALL TiN coated titanium hardware. Not different than using paint or polish.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,135
After 3 weeks, I got a reply from the manufacturer about the fuel filler and cap.

Got the part numbers and contacted the US distributor.

These parts are not stocked in the USA, so I'll have to wait for them to be ordered.

Actually, that's fine. Probably no one else in the USA is using this filler/cap.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,136
Got a cheap used OEM fuel tank.

1. To help me with some dimensions for the new custom tank.

2. Possibly as a temporary tank until the custom tank is done.

The tank doesn't fit with my new battery box, but might be able to rig it for testing purposes.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Is your custom tank going to be broadly similar in shape, or are you going to smoke it out?

1121 - 1140 of 1589 Posts