Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1589 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,141
Been working on the titanium exhaust tip mount since January. Got the finished titanium piece yesterday and it's not even close to what I asked for.

No top cutout, side cutouts wrong, and because the external shape is wrong- it can't be fixed.

I could still use it. I could make it work. But, it won't look right to me, and I paid for 3 machined aluminum prototypes and full price for the final titanium piece.

One of the nice things about a local machine shop is that we can talk face-to-face about the job. It saves me from making perfectly detailed drawings. Sometimes the machinist whips out a paper and pencil and makes notes or writes on my drawings. Sometimes he doesn't write anything down.

This same thing has has happened a few times in the past. By the time he gets to my parts, he forgets the spoken details.

He says, he doesn't remember any part of the conversation- so it looks like I'm going to have to pay for another piece of titanium, and another big machining bill.

Too bad. The machine work is great.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,142
Two rubber grommets sit on top.

The way it is, the rubber grommets will hang over the sides.

I know I could use a washer between the adapter and grommet, but that's not the plan.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,143
Brought the faulty titanium mount home to check the hole placement.

The first prototype didn't bolt in because the hole centers were too wide.

The second prototype bolted in rightly.

The machinist used the first prototype hole centers on the new titanium part. No idea why. The part doesn't bolt in.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,146
i'd have wanted the working prototype to check my final part against , or at the very least made a drawing of the customers correct prototype
Right on.

This time, instead of drawings, I drew the changes with a marker on the actual second prototype.

He had the second prototype, so not sure how he used the first, incorrect hole placement.

Even if he made all other changes correctly, the piece would have to be made over because of the mounting holes. (I could open up the subframe holes, but that's not right.)

I'm not angry at all about the mistakes. Only that he said- I never told him about the changes.

I always admit my own mistakes. One reason why my threads are so long. :D

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Man "Smoker", might be time to invest in a 3d printer so you can work up your own prototypes on the cheap and then hand them off to a machinist for final product.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,148
Man "Smoker", might be time to invest in a 3d printer so you can work up your own prototypes on the cheap and then hand them off to a machinist for final product.
That would be great.

The problem is the same, though. I don't know how to do CAD drawings.

And have almost no free time to learn.

·
V4's FTW
10,492 Posts
Smoker, I know you're already capable of thinking in three dimensions, so all you really need to do is learn a bit of software. Some of it is as easy as learning any office type product.

Could become a wash in the long run, if it negates the time spent dealing with incorrect parts...

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,150
Smoker, I know you're already capable of thinking in three dimensions, so all you really need to do is learn a bit of software. Some of it is as easy as learning any office type product.

Could become a wash in the long run, if it negates the time spent dealing with incorrect parts...
I'll try to find out what program is the easiest to learn, and give it a try. Needs to be something most machine shops can use.

Had a heart to heart talk at the machine shop today. The machinist admitted it was his fault, so I said I would pay double, or whatever he wants, and I think both of us feel a lot better. I don't think he'll actually charge me double, but whatever. Been using that shop for maybe 10 years and I consider them friends.

I made some new drawings, so hopefully things will go right.

·
Breaking shit...
3,203 Posts
what software would you recommend for a beginner Seb?

·
V4's FTW
10,492 Posts
what software would you recommend for a beginner Seb?
I'm not really well versed in the latest and greatest, but there are a few bigger names that have been around a while, and have excellent support from in-house techs and forums like ours here. They also offer free trial/student versions, or are entirely free to begin with.

Try your hand at a trial version of Solidworks. If you get the hang of that and like it, you could potentially build a career on it.

Google's Sketchup has a big following, but I haven't tried it. Hear it's user friendly for those green to cad.

AutoCAD/Autodesk is more popular in the architectural fields of engineering, but they also offer free trials and since we're talking about intro to cad, it's worth trying a bunch to see what clicks best for you. Pun intended...

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,153
Checked in with the machine shop again this AM.

Titanium bar is still untouched.

No telling when the titanium adapter will be done.

This is the reason why my projects take so long. I don't have the machine tools to make these parts myself. No choice but to wait.

In the mean time, trying to figure out the custom radiator.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,154
Just called the machine shop (again).

No progress at all on the titanium part.

Every time I call, the machinist says he's ready to start on it.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,155
Finally have the titanium bracket for the exhaust tips.

And it is damn sexy.

If I could post pics, I'd give you a peek at it. :hairpull:

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,158
Not sure what happened to the latest photo.

It was up for a few days, then disappeared.

I added it as an attachment here on CF.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Weird, I never saw it and I religiously follow up when I see one of your threads updated.

1141 - 1160 of 1589 Posts