Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1590 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,162

So, the welding went fine.

The silencer end caps are held in with snap rings. Problem is, I never tried installing the snap rings. Turns out the flanges are slightly too thick, can't get the snap rings in.

Second problem is, it was jigged without the snap rings in. Now, the parts are too short to use.

There's still enough material on the end caps to cut off the welds and still use the parts. Will probably need cutting, some clean up work and machining, and new tubings cut.

Then, round 2 of welding.

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
You are 'at tha very least,persistant Smokes'.A real good atrubute fer sure :thumbsup:

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,165
You are 'at tha very least,persistant Smokes'.A real good atrubute fer sure :thumbsup:
I prefer getting choked out than tapping out. Never been much of a quitter.

Problem is no plan, and very little free time.

Custom fuel tank design is giving me a headache. Might need someone with CAD skills to get me close to the final shape (all flat pieces).

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,166
When I got the exhaust tips back from the welder, I found this:

This cap is on the opposite end of the silencer. The aluminum cover next to it also has a burn mark.

My guess is the welder didn't have the ground cable on.

Not sure if the parts can be fixed, but I'll try. If not, new parts will be made.

Two steps forward, one step back. I'll get there eventually.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,167
Okay, almost ready for a second try at welding. Notice the snap rings are in place. Turned down the thickness of the flanges, cleaned up the end caps and exhaust tips, and cut new tubes.

Still trying different combinations of tube pieces for the best fit and symmetry. (The exhaust tips are not a matched set).

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,168
Haven't welded the tips, yet. Will probably just tack them for now.

Started working on the stingers. Said I was going to use cut pieces of straight tubing to make bends. Turns out, the bends are tight, and I don't want to decrease flow (more), so trying mandrel bent tubing.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,175
Heard that Jeff is working on a TZ350 Land Speed Record bike.

Found this:

https://m.facebook.com/GeckoMotorcycleImports/posts/1099668546832352

Note that he got valuable info from "Wobbly". That's the dude that went belly-up with the whole RZ350 engine (modified to 500cc) / Aprilia RS250 hybrid project. Many dudes lost big bucks on that failed business.

I've heard Jeff still makes pipes, but I doubt it's gonna happen for me.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,177
Okay, so I need to make some progress fast.

There's no phone number for Jeff on any of his websites. Well, no numbers that he would be at.

I searched my ass off and found some remote website with a post by him - and there was a number in the sig! The area code checked out, and I tried it.

Son-of-a-bitch!! Dude sounds just like Mr. Science. Told me he achieved the record with his TZ350. Went over 170mph. Fucking right on, dude.

Then he laid out the list of projects waiting for him. Forget, it. And it's all bad-ass race shit. He said he hasn't been taking on any pipe-building projects for a while.

He did read the email I sent yesterday. After talking to me a bit, he said- "Send me some pics of your project- maybe I'll be inspired to do it."

....:D

·
forks and valves... WTF?
671 Posts
I know Jeff fairly well and can say that he is a master at everything he does... expansion chambers, frames, machining engine parts, etc. He even cast his own cylinders in his back yard foundry and of course they came out flawless. But FYI, the motor bike stuff is only a hobby / side business. By day he works full time as a chemist.

He just spent all of his free time over the past few months building the TZ350 LSR bike, so might be awhile till he's back to a normal schedule and taking on customer projects again.

1161 - 1180 of 1590 Posts