Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 1582 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Well that's cool. A little chop and spread it it'll slide right in. This'll be cool.
I don't plan to chop and spread, unless there is no other way. I'd like to keep the frame intact.

I think I can do it by shaving down the frame mounts on the SXV frame and adding on new mounts.

·
Fucking Newb...Oh wait
7,631 Posts
Neg. Rep that guy. He whored his way to 50 posts to put a part in clasifieds.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Whats the verdict? is it going to work??????
I guess you mean - will the Aprilia frame work? It has to. I'm going to sacrifice the original RZ350 frame to legalize the Aprilia frame.

There is a bigger clearance problem than I thought, because I forgot that the carb mounts are 1/4 inch wider on each side, than the intake manifolds. Somehow, I'll find a way to make it work. Also have problems with swingarm pivot/countershaft sprocket alignment vs down pipes clearance, and where/how to relocate the kickstand, so that the left side pipe can come up on the same side ( not GP style).

I'm not sure if I can modify the Aprilia fuel tank for use with the RZ engine. Not much confidence modifying plastic fuel tanks.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Worked 24 hours, and now been up all day reading about anti-squat, squat, pro-squat, chain torque, and other rear suspension design stuff. Just trying to understand what could go wrong with the engine swap.

Also starting to look at how to run the custom pipes. The pipe in the pic is from a different project. I'd like to relocate the kickstand and have the left pipe stay on the left side, intstead of crossing over to the right side. The pipes should probably cross over in the front, to get extra length.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
you could use an enduro style kickstand that mounts to the swingarm.

Also keep in mind when you start dealing with chain pull angle that if you put an idler that will be your chain pull angle.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/maperez/Cad Drawings/Frame Geometry.JPG

typically its drawn from the top of your front/rear sprockets but a roller or idler will alter this and may be what you need to work out.

if your pipe comes out like that wont that hurt your ground clearance in a lean?

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
you could use an enduro style kickstand that mounts to the swingarm.

Also keep in mind when you start dealing with chain pull angle that if you put an idler that will be your chain pull angle.

if your pipe comes out like that wont that hurt your ground clearance in a lean?
I'd like to make a kickstand bracket off the left footpeg attachment point.

I'm hoping that an idler won't be necessary, but it's a possibility.

The pipes will be under the engine and frame, but there is a box there now, holding up the engine. Check out the two motards that I posted with the RZ engines - the pipes on this bike will be more similar to the pipes on the German-built motard.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I want to tuck the engine up into the frame to get the maximum ground clearance. With the downpipes, the clearance is already too little for a supermoto bike - and I don't want the pipes to scrape the ground.

The SXV needs a lot of ground clearance because the suspension compresses a lot. I've seen pics and video of guys dragging the footpegs through the corners (with their feet on them), and they even sell footpeg sliders for this bike.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Well, after placing the engine high and tight in the frame, the front sprocket center is about 35mm above the swingarm pivot center, so the idler sprocket is looking more interesting. I've never seen a bike in person that uses something like this and I don't know how much HP the idler can take - and I don't know how much HP it might rob.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
my jealousy is reaching new levels..............FML

·
fighter'n the good fight
1,092 Posts
you might want to check out the anti-tension kutentraub system atk ran on there older bikes. im having a hard find in info on it but you can buy the replacement sprockets here http://www.americandirtbike.com/atkparts.htm

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
you might want to check out the anti-tension kutentraub system atk ran on there older bikes. im having a hard find in info on it but you can buy the replacement sprockets here http://www.americandirtbike.com/atkparts.htm
Thanks for posting that info. :rock:

The ATK chain torque eliminator is basically the same concept. Note that they use a more extreme angle than would be needed on the project bike.

101 - 120 of 1582 Posts