2,159 Posts
What you're saying is you can put in a good word for him lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,182
I couldn't even read it :doh:

Good luck, Smoker! Sounds like you got a foot in the door.
Haven't had a chance to round up good pics to send to Jeff.

Sent him an email just to let him know what's up with me, and not really sure if I'll be able to follow through with everything.

Interesting side note- He said his day job is working on cancer drugs.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,183
Have to meet with the doc today about my surgery. Could be more bad news. I'm not a good surgical candidate for several reasons. Last thing I expected was to have a huge smile on my face, 5 minutes after waking up today!

Spent literally hours sending about 5 emails to Jeff Henise yesterday. Went through about 3,000 pics, trying to organize and send the best ones to peak his interest in making pipes for this bike. Skipped all the big money items like wheels, calipers, etc., and focused on the one-off titanium and aluminum stuff of my own design. Then, I went all in on the pipe plans.

My plan, as of now, is to finish the stainless stingers and exhaust tips. The tips and stingers should be small enough to fit in the TiN coating oven, so they will be polished gold. I asked Jeff if he could make the cone sections out of titanium. (Never seen titanium pipes from him). Also sent some cool pics of those high-end titanium anodized Ferrari exhausts. Was thinking he could do the cone work and we could send the pipes to somewhere like Unobtanium Welding for the welding & anodizing.

Checked my email when I woke up and Jeff is definitely interested. He said he used to weld titanium, and he's already talking about a 4-cone mockup to test his own welding skills. I don't know how things will turn out, but I'm extremely happy and hopeful at the moment. Haven't been doing well the past few days, and this is just what I needed!

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,187
Wanted to use some WR wheels for transport and pipe fabrication. Leave the Marchesinis at home.

After staring at the bike and the wheels, I think it's too time consuming.

Bought 2 welding blankets, 4'x6'x1/4". Looking at Nomex thread now.

Thinking I could make some nice wheel covers. Easier, cheaper, faster.

·
74 Posts
Nice, this build is still going. Now I dont feel bad for resurecting my almost 10 year old thread lmao. Props Smoker. Wish photobucket didnt suck so I could see all the progress on the 100+ pages.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,189
Spent a good amount of Christmas day with a wrench in my hand. :rock:

Switching out the titanium hardware for regular stuff, and removing everything not needed to fab up the pipes. Will post a pic tomorrow when I get it cleaned up.

Still need to mock up the radiator.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,190
Getting there.

Just pondering two separate radiators connected with rubber tubing, vs. two radiators fixed together by solid tubing. Probably want the radiator in a "V" shape. More soon.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,191
Had a bitch of a time figuring out how to attach the armature wire to the pipe flanges for a rough mockup. Solution was easy, just took me some time.

Will make a small loop on the wire end, so it can't slip out. These plates will mount behind the flanges.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,196
I dig the first mockup. Reminds me of the oldschool high and tight pipe bends. Always thought that looked tough.
Yep, got some other comments about making late '70s looking MX pipes. :D

I may still do it that way, not sure yet.

Problem with the first mockup was the bend in the belly is too tight. Not good for performance, but more important that the templates aren't too close together. If the templates are touching, or too close, there won't be any cone at all on the inside of the bend. Makes it difficult to fabricate and weld.

Could still be high and tight, just need to open up the bend (like the pic you posted).

Still mocking up in the Toomey pattern. When I decide how to route the pipes, I'll start moving the cardboard around to fit the bike better.

·
BLACK BELT
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,200
Started working on the gearchange lever, brake pedal, and footpegs, to make sure there are no clearance issues with the mockup downpipes.

Gearchange lever may be a problem, not sure yet. The gearchange shaft is pretty far forward. Looks like the custom lever might be very short. Might not have much leverage.

Spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for footpegs. I already bought footpegs, but I would need to make custom adapters. Plus, I think they would be good for another project. Not many pegs made to fit the SXV. Can modify CRF pegs to fit, but can mess up the finish. Ended up ordering Pivot Pegz. They're trick, and polished stainless, so I can have them gold TiN coated like the hardware.

1181 - 1200 of 1589 Posts