Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

141 - 160 of 1582 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
All these toys im in the wrong profession, seriously...

A) what do you for a job...

B) hiring?

Envy is a bitch lol
fslflint got it right.

Easy to be envious, if you don't know about all the years of cleaning up shit and worse stuff I had to do on a daily basis as a nurse.

Things are better, now. I've done what I had to, and got myself into a better career path. I'll make a post about it... I'm sure you guys will find it interesting. ;)

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
You can weld to cast but this can present problems. While it can be done im not sure that i would want to do this for a frame(personally). Ive welded cast aluminum before and depending on the casting methods used, you can end up with weak welds. I would like to assume since Aprilia cast these frame sections to be welded to other parts that their process is/was suited for it.
Here's a cast R6 swingarm that RGV Steve welded for me. There's a new plate on the top and botom to seal the original shock hole, and the new billet shock mounts on the bottom. The pivot is also modified, so it will bolt right onto the OEM RZV500 frame. Just wanted to show some of Steve's work, he does good welding and fabrication.

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
VERY BAD NEWS on the jackshaft swingarm. :(

I REALLY want to do it, because it's such a cool solution- will look interesting, and solve all of the long-travel chain tensioning issues.

This is second-hand info, but it came straight from the top:

The chain heats up when it goes around the small circumfrence of the front sprocket at speed. It's not a problem because the chain is cooled as it travels to the rear sprocket and returns to the front.

If the jackshaft sprocket is only a few inches away from the front sprocket, the chain won't cool by the time it hits the jackshaft sprocket - which could heat it up even more, and so on - until the chain burns up the seals & lube, and then blows itself up.

:doh:

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I'm hoping that the info on the jackshaft is more theoretical than practical. The info came from one of Honda's top engineers in their motorcycle R&D division. I think I'll have a chance to meet him and talk about it in the near future.

Trying to get some more info:

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Is that why harleys run belted primarys?

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Problem? Just use a billet housing to fully enclose the short chain, then half-fill it with oil. Problem solved.
Cool idea, but I don't think it's possible on this application.

Thanks - I'm interested in any reasonable ideas.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Do a three piece helical gearset to a pivot mounted sprocket. Very doable, just gotta find someone willing to build a gearset to spec along with a carrier. Fin*l gear would need to be keyed to the drive sprocket

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
yup that is a very nice job. The r6 swingarm is die cast. I learned the sxv frame is pressed aluminum and that the engine is actually a structural member of the frame.

as far as your chain heating up, i could possibly see an issue with an oring chain but if you run a roller chain and keep it properly lubed i dont think it would be a problem. I like the idea of a gearset but you couldnt run them dry. You could always design a small belly pan with a vent in it:)

Here's a cast R6 swingarm that RGV Steve welded for me. There's a new plate on the top and botom to seal the original shock hole, and the new billet shock mounts on the bottom. The pivot is also modified, so it will bolt right onto the OEM RZV500 frame. Just wanted to show some of Steve's work, he does good welding and fabrication.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,547 Posts
geeez smoker...this is a tough one to keep up with! whereas i thought the jackshaft would be interesting...and possibly the only application possible that i might have liked (usually on bikes like the one pictured in the roaring toyz pic)....interested to see how you fix the issue...but i can just watch from the side lines as I dont know enough.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Run a chain oiler on the gearset with hardened gears. With proper toleranced the gears would last plenty long

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
real HD's run chain driven primaries in oil. The cutom's run belt driven ones cause they look cool and low maintanince :lame: Same theory with belt drives to the wheel.

For all practical purposes, the jack shaft is cheaper and easier. If it's as short as you're looking to do, I would take the Honda engineers word for it. A gear set would deffinatly need to be encased in oil. Think of all the gunk and grime that gets caught under a sprocket cover. You will eat those gears if you leave them open. At least with a chain drive the grime gets flung out of the chain. Not so with a tight pitch gear set. Especialy if you're running a 3 piece gear set. It'll suck it into the planatery gear all day.

I think it's time to look into hydro drive ;)

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Just a side note:

I'm still calling this bike a motard, but it's going to be a streetfighter. :knucks:

This bike isn't going to be ridden in the dirt. I want to go with Marchesini (tubeless) aluminum wheels, not spoke wheels, and Michelin Power One tires. No plastic body parts. Custom aluminum fuel tank (polished, or covered with carbon fiber) and minimal body pieces for a naked look.

Also been reading bad stuff about certain cops out to get sportbikes, in general. So, I'll try to design some legal reflectors, turn signals, etc. that can be removed or switched with some carbon fiber or aluminum pieces (on both my projects).

·
I been fightin' gravity
7,473 Posts
Just a side note:

I'm still calling this bike a motard, but it's going to be a streetfighter. :knucks:

This bike isn't going to be ridden in the dirt. I want to go with Marchesini (tubeless) aluminum wheels, not spoke wheels, and Michelin Power One tires. No plastic body parts. Custom aluminum fuel tank (polished, or covered with carbon fiber) and minimal body pieces for a naked look.

Also been reading bad stuff about certain cops out to get sportbikes, in general. So, I'll try to design some legal reflectors, turn signals, etc. that can be removed or switched with some carbon fiber or aluminum pieces (on both my projects).
Sounds alot like mine, no plastic, aluminum tank, carbon shroud,

main difference is mine will see lots of dirt and air, oh and Ill have less than 1000$ in it total

·
BLACK BELT
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Sounds alot like mine, no plastic, aluminum tank, carbon shroud,

main difference is mine will see lots of dirt and air, oh and Ill have less than 1000$ in it total
I live in Los Angeles, so I get plenty of dirt and air, every time I take a breath.

I could probably ride somewhere to find some dirt, but it's more likely to be ridden up and down curbs and stairs, and through the neighbor's yard. I'd love to bribe a guard and moto through a closed shopping mall! :LolLolLolLol:

141 - 160 of 1582 Posts