Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever smoothed the welds on a fireblade frame where the extruded alloy meets the cast. Just the outside welds for a smoother look.
Im wondering if this will weaken the join.
There is a lot of welding on the inside.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
That is actually a good question. I've never really thought about it. Those welds are on every aluminum framed bike I can think of, and they are fairly annoying.

I would think it should be okay, but any experienced welders may say otherwise.

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
I think welds look like scars on silicone boobs.

I smoothed out mine with bondo before painting:

Came out just fine and has held up for a few years by now:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im a bit nervous about removing them as most things Ive read says it will weaken the join.
Im probably going to go for a matt black powder coat so they shouldnt stand out too much.

·
Registered
279 Posts
As far as im aware, ( and what my brother has told me ) the welds actually form a structural bond, keeping it strong.....removing them will weaken the frame and fatigue fractures will quite possibly appear over time.

Source: My brother welds alu for a living......he said 'dont do it 'bro'.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No leave them alone. I'll explain it like it was explained to me when I started welding, each dime shape or c shade is one piece formed with the next to make up a bead. For that weld to crack it would have to crack every single one of those dime shapes.
If you ground it down it would but much easier for it to crack

I actually prefer a bead. I love metal working and love that I get to do it everyday
A weld to me shows heart and character and someone's passion for what they do.

That's somebody's work of art leave it on there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts