Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in November I picked up my first real street bike (I've had little toys before but nothing even registration worthy). Put it in a friend's basement and kind of left it out of mind. Well blame it on summer I got motivated to start tearing into it again.
Here's what I've got:

It's a 2002 ninja zx6e. It was dumped hard enough to snap the footpeg off and break the tail fairing. Obviously First thing I did was strip the rest of the fairing :Evil_smile:. The tank and airbox are off just to get to the carbs and easy access to everything. She wants to start but general verdict is the carbs need to be cleaned and adjusted. 90% sure it's minor.
Figured I would start a formal build thread. It will likely be slow as I am a full time student and a 2nd shift machinist. I have some plans, but we will talk about those when we reach them:stop: Get it started and then chopchopchop!

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
cool shit mang, good meeting you today and thanks for that tach! def get your carbs cleaned and bench sync them and I bet you she'll start right up. (you could skip the bench sync but it wouldn't hurt)

eventually rob will see this so robbo this man needs a bobber seat nudge nudge wink wink not sure if you might have one laying around (only if you aren't using it of course!)

Ok here we go Bench syncing 101

First the carbs need to be out of the bike and on the bench upside down with the butterflys showing. Now if you turn the throttle where the cables attach you will see the butterflys move now this does not mean they are working together!!

We need two drill bits the same size 1/8 inch works good but whatever you have since most drill bits are the same size as in the dies are the same well close enough for you machinests LOL

Anyhow we need to determine which carb is Number 1 and open the throttle slightly enough to fit the one of the drill bits under the butterfly of the number one carb body and let the throttle go to hold the bit in place.

Then we take the next bit and as you will notice the other butterflys are open too well they should be if not we are way off but anyhow we can start at number 2 and work our way around lay the drill bit flat against the throat and try to slide it in the butterfly like the one in number 1 it should drag ever so slightly if it goes in and wiggles around you need to adjust the screw in between the bodys. Number one cannot be adjusted so thats why we use it a our base setting so you just go around and check the other carbs and adjust as needed until they are all the same and that is what we call bench syncing.

It will get you very close close enough that you may not need to sync but you can check if you like LOL

Class dismissed Cool Cool

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
Hell no! I'm cleaning my carbs as we speak! Do work!!!!

Reactions: mnjason and ROBBO

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
the heat is a little insane... and i have to clean the INSIDE of my carbs... much less pretty hehe

Yo rob: FUCK CARBS!!!

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
you gotta soak them jets son!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts