Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yah, one to open and one to close, only it works great with just the cable that opens it, because the springs on the carb does the closing. When I use both, its all sticky and dont close by itself, the handgrip stays where I left it. I've had these carbs off lots of times and never questioned the two cables. Is it okay to delete this cable? or am I gonna take off like a ballistic missle into oblivion??

·
Whomadethatmanagunner?
3,288 Posts
Well the return cable keeps your carb from doing all the work of shutting you throttle down. So if you don't mind putting the extra work onto your carb springs and having to change them sooner then go for it. I suspect the reason it is not rotating freely when you have the second cable connected is due to the routing of your second cable. It's binding somewhere.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
obviously you have never had your throttle stick open. that return cable has saved my ass quite a few times.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Harley does this also.....never understood why.

Harley - 1 carb - 2 throttle cables?????

Suzuki - 4 carbs - 1 throttle cable

Dont know what bike you have and I am not recommending anything but if the return spring on the carb is designed properly I dont understand the purpose of two throttle cables other then to piss off anyone trying to work or tune on the bike in question.

You dont have two brake lines going to each caliper......poor engineering in my opinion whatever bike it is.

·
Pinstriper4fun
763 Posts
leave it on and sounds like you got cruise control. :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
straight to oblivion

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Harley does this also.....never understood why.

Harley - 1 carb - 2 throttle cables?????

Suzuki - 4 carbs - 1 throttle cable

Dont know what bike you have and I am not recommending anything but if the return spring on the carb is designed properly I dont understand the purpose of two throttle cables other then to piss off anyone trying to work or tune on the bike in question.

You dont have two brake lines going to each caliper......poor engineering in my opinion whatever bike it is.
You sir, seem to get it.

I have looked at it and decided it is there only for my aggrivation..theres no binding,
its just a stupid design because the exposed wire at the end of the cable is excessive and merely bends
as you return the throttle. and even if it didn't bend, the cable would lift out of its retainer if it did any pushing. its absurd.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Really it just ensures that the throttle closes, if you take it off, it will function the same, except if you suddenly ack off the throttle it won't slam shut. Alternatively it also won't act as a safety to make sure the throttle doesn't stick open.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
its most definitely not a bad design or a flaw in the design. it is one of the simplest yet most effective ways to enssure you dont get caught with your throttle stuck open. if you're taking it off because your're getting binding in your throttle then to me it looks like you're taking it off because you arnt willing to set up your cables properly. doesnt seem smart to me

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have set them up properly as well as the other ways possible. It is of crap design.
I have declared it.
I think I would rather have my throttle slam shut than my bike take off without me, or over-rev if I lay it down. I can't imagine a scenario where I lose grip on bars and the deceleration bucks me off.

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
I have set them up properly as well as the other ways possible. It is of crap design.
I have declared it.
I think I would rather have my throttle slam shut than my bike take off without me, or over-rev if I lay it down. I can't imagine a scenario where I lose grip on bars and the deceleration bucks me off.
Your bike, your ride, your life and everyone's life you hit with a jammed throttle.
If you have slack on the push cable something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Traditionally mechanical slide carbs have always had 2 cables to close the throttle. with mechanical slides the engine vacuum can in some cases pull the slide tight against the body of the carb preventing it from closing effectively, by using a 2nd cable to close it overcomes this problem.
CV carbs can usually get away with a single cable as the butterfly will close with a lightweight spring, and the slide doesn't stick like a mechanical slide will do.
Expensive carbs like the Mikuni TMR range or the Keihin FCR range have the slides run in roller bearings which overcomes the problem of the slide being wedged against the carb body by engine vacuum. My Mikuni TMR flatslide have 4 small roller bearings that the slide operates on, I have run these carbs with a single throttle cable for the last 6 years with no problems so far. My Mikuni RS36 flatslides run with both an opening and closing cable as they are prone to sticking under certain conditions.
If fitting your second cable is causing problems then it sounds like the cable inner liner is worn causing the inner to bind internally, rather than a cable routing issue. Buy yourself a new cable, and get yourself a cable lubricating tool, and use it on a regular basis when you perform a service on your bike, it will make for a much smoother throttle action, and you'll be surprised how much lighter a clutch action can be with a regularly lubricated cable. They are not expensive, and are easy to use, remove the top end of the cables and fit the cable oiler, then squirt a can of WD40 or similar into it until the fluid coming out of the other end runs clear, meaning it has flushed any crap out of there. A simple 5 minute procedure which is usually overlooked until a cable snaps or seizes.

·
The Glistening Turd
2,983 Posts
I have a throttle from a 92 gsxr and a 96 gsxr, neither have 2 throttle cables. First time I ever came across this. The Mikuni's have the mounts for both cable but the hand throttles are both stock gsxr and 1 cable.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
obviously you have never had your throttle stick open. that return cable has saved my ass quite a few times.
Agreed. I would try and figure out the problem and leave it. It shouldn't be pushing the carbs closed, but rather pulling them closed. It should be a pull pull system, one cable pull open, one cable pull closed. Might want to check cable for smoothness and adjustment at carb and throttle.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Traditionally mechanical slide carbs have always had 2 cables to close the throttle. with mechanical slides the engine vacuum can in some cases pull the slide tight against the body of the carb preventing it from closing effectively, by using a 2nd cable to close it overcomes this problem.
CV carbs can usually get away with a single cable as the butterfly will close with a lightweight spring, and the slide doesn't stick like a mechanical slide will do.
Expensive carbs like the Mikuni TMR range or the Keihin FCR range have the slides run in roller bearings which overcomes the problem of the slide being wedged against the carb body by engine vacuum. My Mikuni TMR flatslide have 4 small roller bearings that the slide operates on, I have run these carbs with a single throttle cable for the last 6 years with no problems so far. My Mikuni RS36 flatslides run with both an opening and closing cable as they are prone to sticking under certain conditions.
If fitting your second cable is causing problems then it sounds like the cable inner liner is worn causing the inner to bind internally, rather than a cable routing issue. Buy yourself a new cable, and get yourself a cable lubricating tool, and use it on a regular basis when you perform a service on your bike, it will make for a much smoother throttle action, and you'll be surprised how much lighter a clutch action can be with a regularly lubricated cable. They are not expensive, and are easy to use, remove the top end of the cables and fit the cable oiler, then squirt a can of WD40 or similar into it until the fluid coming out of the other end runs clear, meaning it has flushed any crap out of there. A simple 5 minute procedure which is usually overlooked until a cable snaps or seizes.
Well I have to say....that does make sense....slide verses butterfly.....however my quads, and dirt bikes all have slide style carbs and one cable.....hmmmmmm....not debating but still wondering.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts