Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
You either have not left enough freeplay in the cables, or one of the cables is damaged kinked or corroded somewhere up its length.

You can run with just one, but consider the second one as double-redundancy. I think the throttle is a system where it's worth having a safety margin myself, however that said the T595 I had had one cable from standard, and that never gave me any trouble at all, though they did fit a second cable on the subsequent 955i.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yah, one to open and one to close, only it works great with just the cable that opens it, because the springs on the carb does the closing. When I use both, its all sticky and dont close by itself, the handgrip stays where I left it. I've had these carbs off lots of times and never questioned the two cables. Is it okay to delete this cable? or am I gonna take off like a ballistic missle into oblivion??
Your just replacing one problem with another future problem. Fix your idle cable. Obviously you need new cables and if your gonna stick with that same throttle cable what do you think will happen when it starts binding too? Do you think that the spring that your gonna be wearing out is gonna close your throttle when the cable sticks?

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,581 Posts
Your just replacing one problem with another future problem. Fix your idle cable. Obviously you need new cables and if your gonna stick with that same throttle cable what do you think will happen when it starts binding too? Do you think that the spring that your gonna be wearing out is gonna close your throttle when the cable sticks?
10 yr old thread my dude

·
time is running out......
820 Posts
just FYI harley does have conversion kits and stuff to do away with dual throttle cables.
dual cables is an antiquated design.
i have removed all push cables off my bikes. with a xtra spring on carbs to close. never had an issue.
...other that that one time on my hardtail kz750 ripping it until out of gear...cable snapped(40yr old cable) weeeee

edit: i also know nothing.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,215 Posts
There's nothing antiquated about it. Even my FZ 09 that's fly by wire is dual cables. And for a good reason.

Big bore, long stroke engines can create a TON of vacuum. Enough to easily overpower a dinky carb return spring. Flat slide carbs are more prone to it to round slides. That's why it's common on Harley's and dirt bikes. Even current fuel injected dirt bikes. My KTM has a kinda stiff throttle, and it's still not enough. It's a 520 with a fatass bore and turns 10k rpm.
Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Gas Machine

That engine at full song WILL park the flat slide against the carb body and you're not going to close it without the second cable. It happens pretty often, tbh.

Two strokes don't have the problem because they're not good at making vacuum.

Using a closing cable also allows for a much lighter carb return spring. If you ride far and often a light throttle is a lifesaver. If you just cruise 10min down the main drag blinking LEDs and rev bombing it probably don't matter much.

There's a lot of reasons to run dual cables and zero reason to remove the closing cable.
Like I said, there's a servo between my throttle and my throttle bodies on my FZ 09 and it even that still uses dual cables. It's a redundant safety feature and it creates a nice, light throttle effort.

Antiquated? C'mon man.... 😏

·
Is my bike ok?
15,215 Posts
Woah thats a beauty,of course im a bit particular to liking them .
You are?! Is Mr CBX a closet Yamaha guy?
I have a fz09 BlackWidow complete exhaust system here brand new if its anything might interest yo .
I just put a Yoshimura on here a while back. These things make the best noises.

·
Premium Member
50,668 Posts
You are?! Is Mr CBX a closet Yamaha guy?

I just put a Yoshimura on here a while back. These things make the best noises.
Theres no closet can hold me E'
I went Yam shopping last year and got me a 1st gen low miles one owner funbike.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts