Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would post up the bike that brought me to CF! I have been big into cars/trucks/bikes since I was a kid. A couple of years ago I built a jeep that was pretty badass (full roll cage, 1 ton axles, 38" tires). We wheeled that thing up and down the east coast. Then one day my wife tells me she's pregnant. So the wheeling trips were going to have to take a break, she wouldnt be able to load a baby in and out of the jeep etc etc... so I sold it (no biggie really)... and she suggested I build that bike I have always wanted to build! (I knew she was a keeper)

Insert an old 1978 Honda CB750. I picked it up 6 days after selling my jeep. I collected a few other parts, VFR750 forks and I had the brilliant idea of monoshocking it with a gixxer swingarm. I hate how wide the old K tanks are, so I narrowed it 7" and filled in the access panel on top. I really didnt want to clutter the triangle, so I opened it up and built a custom oil tank and mounted it under the carbs. There are a ton of other things I have worked on. I worked on this thing pretty heavy everyday...

Then my daughter was born (one of the coolest "builds" I ever took part in!)... and the progress kinda slowed. Fast forward 2 years! I have been picking at the bike more and more recently, buttoning up all the little things.

I have always wanted to put a set of USDs on it, and the other day while poking around on CL I came across a fighter project for a price I just couldnt pass up. A 97 bandit 1200 with gsxr1100 USDs. Funny how things change. I went out Sunday morning and I bought a gallon of gas to FIRE THE BIKE OFF! That night I owned a bandit and as of yesterday, I have ripped the front end out from under it. I took some of the parts I was going to use on the cafe and put them in a box for the fighter. And now I need to buy some new shit for the cafe. I need to get some more recent pictures, but here are some from the build over the last 2 years.

Sorry for the long posts (i've been told I type as much as I talk)... but let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pictures... I made the seat with some layers of carpet padding and spray adhesive. Made a removable rear cowl. And spent well over 100 hours making a completely rebuild tank look like its an old rusty POS.

Attachments

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing I am trying to decide between... Clip ons or clubmans!? Thoughts? Im leaning towards clubmans for the vintage bike look.

Here are some of the jeep...

Attachments

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I went out and took some measurements... looks like I am going to stick with clip ons. The triple trees are pretty wide and I would have to find a real wide set of clubmans to clear them. The "C" would need to be at least 13" wide. Widest I've seen is 11"

I am on the hunt for a cool headlight mount for these 52mm forks too.

Here are some pictures of painting the tank, making the seat and cowl.

Attachments

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the USDs are from an old GSXR1100. It has the mechanical speedo unit, which helps with gauge choice on this bike (even though I already bought an all digital gauge, but thats going on the bandit now). Does anyone know if the early 90's gsxr1100 was a 2240rpm=60mph bike?

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really liked the raised center of the tank, but I hated how wide it was and how V shaped it was. After narrowing it, you can really see the motor from the riders position. I didnt care for the trap door either and I realized it came with its own patch panel figured I would weld it up since I had already cut the tunnel out of it. I thought about some of the hot rods and choppers I worked on with my dad and uncle... their embraced the K.I.S.S. theory... I needed a vent, so I found a cap that has a brass vent in the side, so its real simple. I pressure tested it then did a tank coat inside. I'm pretty proud of it.

Attached is a pic of the oil tank and how she sits right now, and my daughters matching radio flyer.

Attachments

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I had a build on pirate. I still keep up with a few of the guys on there... and even work the pits for one of my buddies who races ultra4 and at badlands (he's from IN too)... Scooby in the 929 buggy.

Thanks! I've learned its the little things that set bikes apart. I wanted a classic looking logo. That one is from a rare Honda S600. They were only made from 64-66.

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, hocked some old parts and projects lying around and ordered some new parts. New clip ons should be here in the next week. Ordered new 2.5" gauges so I will have to come up with a mount for those. I also can't figure out a unique way to mount the headlight... so that is on the list of things to do. Looks like I will need to have another brake line made for the front and get an extended banjo bolt too since I switched to dual calipers up front.

...unfortunately, no new pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts