Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Denver's new dad
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
between the scrap yard and oriley auto parts it was 35 bucks to put together;)

·
The original VO
310 Posts
good work!
ive always kinda wondered about lifting a bike with the exhaust like that. did you notice any ill effects? (dents in the pipes)?

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
This is great timing. I found a 20 ton bottle jack in the back of a cabinet in the garage this afternoon. Combine that with all the free old bed frames on Craigslist and I should be able to put it together for the cost of the nuts and bolts. Rep to you!

good work!
ive always kinda wondered about lifting a bike with the exhaust like that. did you notice any ill effects? (dents in the pipes)?
Lay some pieces of 2"x4" across the middle of the lift so only the frame touches.

·
Denver's new dad
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is great timing. I found a 20 ton bottle jack in the back of a cabinet in the garage this afternoon. Combine that with all the free old bed frames on Craigslist and I should be able to put it together for the cost of the nuts and bolts. Rep to you!

Lay some pieces of 2"x4" across the middle of the lift so only the frame touches.
easy on the bed frame thing. I wouldnt trust that thin of a wall material to much:shockerknucks:

·
Denver's new dad
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good work!
no but those are throw away pipes as a Yoshi repo is going to take its place. this lift will not work for my duc and if I pull the exhaust it still has a frame on the cb so the apps are semi limited..... just trying to show what can be done on the cheap;)

·
Winter's comin... :(
4,869 Posts
The bedframe thing will hold light bikes with no problem.

I've built yard carts from bed frames and hauled wood with them to camp-sites and stuff, so they should have no problem holding a bike that's <500lbs or so. Much past that, and you should start looking at the engineering side of things and figuring out how to brace it up, unless you're lifting dead load and never moving it while it's up.

Think about the fact that 2 300lb people can sleep in a normal bed, and all that weight is on a few points of the bed frame where the wheels/feet are. The stuff is actually pretty strong.

+rep to OP for inventing shit.

·
Winter's comin... :(
4,869 Posts
Also, if you're concerned about denting pipes, etc, you can make "add-on" pieces to contact specific points on the frame of your bike, etc. for just a few minutes more of work.

Reactions: oldrider and ROBBO

·
Lover/Fighter
272 Posts

·
Denver's new dad
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did ya steal the plans off the net or do it yourself...you should post a how-to...
i came up with it myself..... kinda. Harbor freight used to have a similar one, I just used thicker square tubing, better casters, and did it for 50 bucks cheaper. One of my down falls as a member is I dont document shit so I cant post up pics but I can scan the plans I drew up if anyone is interested.

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
easy on the bed frame thing. I wouldnt trust that thin of a wall material to much:shockerknucks:
when used correctly bed iron is good stuff. Beware tho, there is varying degrees of quality.

The worst thing about bed iron is cutting it, its hard on hack saw blades. My father has a shear that cuts the stuff like butter (if your butter knife has a 6ft handle). Makes a pain in the the ass material easy as pie to work with.

Back on topic, really nice lift. Its amazing how easy it can be to make nice stuff for your self and save a buck.

·
i'm a NinFo.......!
103 Posts
thats a pretty good homemade motorcycle jack. just as good as the one i bought. mine was only $25, but i got a heck of a deal on mine from an old woman.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts