Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the middle of drilling for handlebar risers and I just realized when I got my Outlaw Risers in the mail today that they have a really long bolt. I don't have enough material between the top of the triple tree and the bottom to cover the unthreaded part of the bolt. So When I screw in the bolt through the top triple, there is excess unthreaded bolt before it gets to the threaded part where I can clamp it down.

I guess my question is, can I put a bolt spacer above the bolt on the riser underneath the triple to compensate for the length of the large bolt?

Options as I see it:

1. Put bolt spacer below triple tree.
2. Replace bolt with shorter one that was included with the risers.
3. Order a different set of risers without such a long non threaded bolt.

I just want to keep the structural integrity of the riser and my bolt without losing anything because I have such a giant bolt.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Forgot to mention, I would order bolt spacers that would be aluminum as the alternatives I have seen are nylon and I don't trust that one bit....

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Buy a couple extra nuts when you buy the bolt. Put 2 nuts on the bolt and lock them together, then grab those with vice grips so you can hold the bolt while you grind the head, without messing up the threads.

Should cost around $5 or less to do this.

A 5th option would be to run a die up your long bolts to cut more threads, then cut the excess bolt away, but that's only a good option if you have the tools on hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts