Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got a good deal on a speedo, apparently it is not particularly made for bikes, but it says that it needs a "square wave" speed sensor. The problem is that I previously bought a two wire magnetic sensor that puts out a low voltage "sine wave".
Now I think a 3 wire "hall effect" sensor will work if it actually switches a input voltage on and off, and I know there are sensors sold for bikes, but for what they do, the seem expensive.
So, my options are to find the correct sensor, or build or buy a signal conditioner that will convert low voltage sine to an amplified square wave output.
But, surely there has to be a speed sensor built for a vehicle that puts out square wave signals, it sure would be easier to just go down to the auto parts store and get one.

Has anybody here ever used a car/truck ABS or VSS sensor to use on their bike Speedo?
Or where can you find a hall effect sensor? I think radio shack does not sell them anymore.

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, guess I'm gonna hit the junkyard.. I'll be looking for a 3 wire crankshaft angle sensor out of any vortec powered G.M. vehicle. It is a 12v powered magnetic flux sensor that should pick up the bolts on my brake disc. i'll let you guys know if it works...

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
What about a 3-wire speedo sensor from a 97+ Gsxr? They have a ground, power, and a signal wire?

Later, Doug

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
135 Posts
What about a 3-wire speedo sensor from a 97+ Gsxr? They have a ground, power, and a signal wire?

Later, Doug

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yup, the GSX-R speedometer sensor is a hall effect sensor, it uses the front sprocket teeth to determine speed, like many other bikes I'm sure. Most any 3 wire hall effect sensor should work, either automotive or motorcycle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts