Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a question. I'm building a fighter out of aN '07 YZF600R and I need a speedo as I've ditched all of the bodywork on the front end. I was hoping to get opinions and experiences with aftermarket speedos. I have listed a few I have found below on ebay. I have also heard Koso makes some that are decent. I need to keep the cost down and make it look clean. I was hoping to keep all of the functions of the factory dash ie: speedo, tach, signals temp etc,. Right now I'm keeping the clip ons which makes it trickier to mount a speedo because of limited space and the ignition. I think if I decide to mount some motocross bars it will make things easier but that won't be for awhile yet. Any and all help is appreciated. There is a link to a pic below
[/COLOR]
http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/07yzf/media/IMG_2171_zpsb2be081c.jpg.html

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Trail-Tech-V...ccessories&hash=item35c6ce67fb&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121048819250?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271200746137?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you are looking for something really cheap, I have heard of a lot of guys using a Sigma BC1009 Bicycle Speedometer . They use the one with the wire. I am doing the same thing you are right now, and just put that speedo on my bike. It is extremely quick and easy, only $20 bucks, and supposedly accurate up to 150mph. Anyway just an idea if you are looking for something cheap. I know it doesn't fix the full dash but just a thought.

·
Registered
324 Posts
No problem. I am all about CHEAP solutions! I bought mine off Amazon. Also make sure you get the one with the wire. The wireless apparently don't work as well.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya the unit itself is around $100 or so on its own. Do you have any experience with these units?

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
I had a Vapor on my last SV. I like it. Super easy to install and easy to read even at night. Some complain about the tach being jumpy, but I thought it was fine. The shift light is lame, even at night. I had it on top of my bars and I never saw it go on unless I was staring at it. I didn't install the surround with the lights though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know. I think I have it narrowed down to the Trail Tech Vapor and the KOSO DB01r. Decisions decisions....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Off topic buit what are you going to do about your right hand mirror?
No threaded hole to add one like on the clutch perch
Im about to fighter mine and have the same problem... Adding dirt bars will help but i dont want to do that... very limited space on the stock setup

EDIT: Found solution, so simple lol
replacement handlebar clamp with threader hole about $5 delivered lol

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
I've run a Vapor on... four bikes now, I think. About to try an Endurance II on my latest.

The Vapor's tach can usually be tamed by putting a small resistor on the tach signal wire. The resistor value varies by application, but a huge assortment of them usually only runs a few bucks. It may not even be necessary, depending on where you pull the tach signal from.

It's also cool that they're not made in China, if you're the sort who cares about such things.

I've also run a Koso speedometer and have no complaints. I like the Koso speed pickup better, but overall, I prefer the stuff Trail Tech builds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks planningoncrashing. I'm leaning towards the Trail Tech setup with the dash. Has anyone had any experience with wiring the unit so it has all of the functions of the factory console ie: signals,temp, low fuel etc? The speed sensor and the tach seem simple but I think splicing the factory harness into the aftermarket might be a bit more challenging.

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
Thanks planningoncrashing. I'm leaning towards the Trail Tech setup with the dash. Has anyone had any experience with wiring the unit so it has all of the functions of the factory console ie: signals,temp, low fuel etc? The speed sensor and the tach seem simple but I think splicing the factory harness into the aftermarket might be a bit more challenging.
Low fuel is the only one that might give you a problem, depending on what kind of sensor it uses and how it's wired. Really basic ones will just be wired in series with a thermistor, and those can be kind of picky about bulbs. Most modern ones will use the bike's computer to switch the light on and off, and in turn, some of those will throw error codes if they see the wrong bulb. That can usually be fixed with a resistor, but it's kind of a pain. The rest don't seem to really care.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts