Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 bandit 1200. im trying to use a zx10 gauge. my bike is cable driven. the 01 an up are magnet driven.

ive seen this like a gsxr set up. they say its for a 05

this is also said for 01- 05 bandit 1200 but i dont know what this picks up

the motors basically an 1100 but they all used wheel pick up so theyre out. i cant find a pic of a sprocket cover for an 01-05 anywhere

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
its a sensor that picks up the speed from the front sprocket. I swear we discussed this before and I warned against trying to do it. There is a thread on swapping to the magnetic pickup on a katana board I post on and they said its a bitch and went through a TON of drill bits because you are trying to drill case hardened steel

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know how they work. i was just hoping to see a pic of one. i really dont want a veypor or one of those. i want a clean stock looking speedo. i know id half to drill the output shaft and itd be a bitch but im willing to screw up anything for a good time. the first pic picks up off the relucter ring the bolts off the end of the trans output shaft at the sprocket. but the second is flat so whats it pick up off of

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
I cant see the 2nd picture clearly enough to even begin to help you

·
98 Posts
Its not that tough to do...you just need the right drill bit. Buy a drill bit that is designed for drilling hardened/tooling steel and you should be good. When tapping, work carefully, turn like 1/16 inch then back it out 1/8 then turn a 1/16 and back an 1/8 etc etc to carefully cut the steel without fucking up the tap. Not really hard, just slow going.

Most likely whoever did it that burnt a bunch of drill bits was using the wrong bit, not using lube (useful for drilling more than just asses), drilling to fast or all the above. Just take your time and let the tool do the work.

PS, you can mount the pickup sensor in your stock sprocket cover, just cut it out the gixxer cover along with about 1 1/2 inch diameter of the surrounding plastic. Then you can either epoxy it inside your cover if you have clearance, or cut a hole out your stock cover, and plastic weld it in place.

Good luck

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its looking like im going to try it. i used a center punch and hit it and it dimpled. so drill bit metal is harder. this will be a weekend project

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
They used the right drill bit, it just eats them up. Here is some info I got from them.

"Keep in mind.. oh about 2100 things when transplanting gauges:

First off you have to know how the gauges (in this case lets talk Speedometer) works. Not the simplest thing.
A lot of the newer bikes (like the 98+ kat) run a sensor off the output shaft of the tranny. OK but then where does that signal go? To the ECU? Directly to the speedo? Into a black box first?

Next what does the sensor read?
The sprocket? The nut, some other feature of the shaft?

Next is the scaling of the signal. If the feature in the stock system reads one pulse per rev, the bike you're adding it to has to match. I don't know for sure but suspect that a speedo healer will not allow the kind of scaling change a 1-6 or 6-1 or 20-1 (etc etc..) change in pulses that this mismatch would create.

Without all the information on the donor bike's system and all the information on the recipient bikes system you are shooting in the dark. The possible combinations of bikes (all the models and brands) make it impossible to give a definitive answer."

"One thing Black_peter failed to mention is that a lot of modern fueling/timing control systems also use the tranny output (speedo) sense to affect the fueling and spark advance. Even the 98+ Kats use it as part of the calculation from what I understand (calculating the gear sense from the shaft output rate divided by the RPM's, and matching that with the throttle position sensor info to set the spark timing differently in the lower three gears). "

·
KatBuilder
371 Posts
Well, on thing is for sure, the katana sprocket covers will not work with the bandit 1200 motors. The katana cover places the speedo sensor in the wrong position and will not work with the 1200 castle nut. I know...I wanted to use a cable driven clutch as opposed to the hydraulic clutch on the 1200 and I went to swap the cover for a 98+ katana 600/750 and figured it out. Sticking with the hydraulic clutch for now. If it's just reading the revolutions of a magnet, could you use the magnet/pickup sensor from say a sigma bike speedo (good to 180mph)? Thats just a rare earth magnet positioned on the front rim ans a sensor placed somewhere on a the fork to read the rotations. I ran a sigma bc800 on a bike for a while and it read fairly accurate

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but the rim is a much bigger revolution than a tiny out put shaft. also the cover now has a hole in it and the sensor is 2 part epoxyied in. and the hole is half way drilled now. but it is burning through my bits but snap on bits are life time garunteed. i told my snap on guy what i was doing and he gave me a handfull and told me to give them back when im done. dudad i agree with all your points, im trying to be an ass or anything. the spark timing though the bandit is origanlly cable driven so it wont affect my spark but yeah i guess if the sensor goes into the ecu and it sends out another type of signal then i guess im in a bit of a pickle. my gauge ended up off a 04 sv 1000 so ill be unhooking my speedo on my 03 sv 1000 and checking signals i guess. thanks for the input

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Just trying to help man :drinks:

told you it would eat up drill bits lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts