Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated in my intro thread I'm looking at Honda CBRs for my first bike, mostly for aesthetic reasons right now however I've also heard they're easy to repair. I have yet to put pants to seat on a motorcycle so I'm wondering about my 30" inseam and the seat height of sport bikes. I know they ride higher, for obvious reasons, and am curious as to the fit for smaller people. Everything I've read says that both feet should touch the ground when the bike is stopped but a lot of videos I watch show people tiptoeing on top of their bike when idling. Any and all imput and suggestions would be appreciated.

5'5"
30" inseam
140 lbs.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm ~5'7, also wear a 30in inseam pants.
We aren't short... ish. Yes, we won't have as much foot on the ground, but probably not short enough to bother with modding to accomodate it. Unless you just aren't comfortable on a bike.

My brother is taller... but rides a Ducati Hypermotard... he can only put one foot down at a time... and it's tippy toes. He still manages. Can't push it back while straddling it, has to get off and walk beside it. Unlevel ground has been an issue once or twice... (wheels in high spots, feet couldn't touch).

With that said, width of seat has just as much effect as height. You really can't judge a bike (at least within 2in) by the seat height... gotta sit on it. If you are new.. it's gonna feel heavy and awkward... but that'll pass with experience. Some SS bikes still feel really wide for my legs, but they are lighter than my 650r, so that helps.

You can always shave the seat foam down a bit, or even narrow it a bit (that front part of the seat isn't what you sit on while riding anyways). You CAN lower a bike, but it may change the handling, and you'll need to mod your kickstand also. If you keep mods to the seat, you can swap it later once you are comfy. Maybe buy a used one and use it to play with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm ~5'7, also wear a 30in inseam pants.
We aren't short... ish.
Ha, most of my friends are 6'+ so maybe I have a skewed perspective. Either way I made peace with asking for help to get stuff off the top shelves years ago.

Hmm, I was unaware there were some minor seat modifications I can try out if they're necessary. I was kicking around the idea of lowering the bike, just lowering not slamming, however I've read that that will kill the handling so I'm hesitant to try it. I guess I'll just wait until I can try one on before assuming I'll have to mod anything.

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Same height as me, only my inseam is 28" I cannot flat foot my Daytona 675. doesn't bother me, but I've been riding for about 7 years.

For your First bike, definitely get something you can flat foot. Just makes learning easier.

·
BLACK BELT
7,105 Posts
Since you're a brand new rider, I think touching down with both feet will help your confidence and ability grow faster.

Buy the bike you want. Also buy a used seat and have the foam cut down and recovered. Save your original seat for resale. Also get a lowering link for the rear and you might need to lower the forks a little to level out the bike. After lowering the suspension, you may need a shorter kickstand. Get a used one and chop it down.

Don't take your bike to a dealer for these mods unless money is no object. Ask around here for where to take your bike for the mods.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Smaller displacement bikes are usually smaller in stature. GS500, EX250 and such. You can do things to them like install a shorter rear shock and longer dogbones, clips ons rather than standard or dirty bars and possibly shorten the fork tubes. I recommend buying whatever bike you really like thats not huge, and modifying it to fit your needs. We'll be here to help.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
First bike I'd do something small. Like smoker said you'll feel more comfortable with a bike you can get your feet on the ground.

You'll drop it and muck it about so pick something up you don't mind looking at felled over.

I am 5'9" with a similar inseam and ride a ktm 690 sumo. You'll figure out ways to handle it if you want to. But for beginners I think comfort imparts confidence.

Nate

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
respect everyones opinions and all..... but..... u dont have to bring both feet to the ground at a light or when u stop... right foot stays on the brake, bring left foot down to the ground (dont put the bike in neutral, get it to first before u have to stop)... thats all it takes to ride a taller bike.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
respect everyones opinions and all..... but..... u dont have to bring both feet to the ground at a light or when u stop... right foot stays on the brake, bring left foot down to the ground (dont put the bike in neutral, get it to first before u have to stop)... thats all it takes to ride a taller bike.

That's great for just stopping at a light, but what about ghost walking it or other low speed maneuvers? Or if you're possibly about to lose control of the bike and need to plant both feet? I think it's unsafe to only be able to plant one foot down on a bike at a time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
try the suzuki sv650. My sis is 5'4 and that is her first bike, she can put the balls of her feet down comfortably.
Your sis must be ALL legs.
My heels don't touch on my girls '06 SV. Also, She's 5'6/5'7, it's her first bike, first manual trans, and she's doing fine on it.

Like they all said... it's doable... but you'll have more confidence with both feet down. And I don't mean just touching... down with enough footing to put out some strength. If you have to rock your hips forward and stretch... that's not gonna do anything to save it.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
i feel your pain, the mirror of a husky 610sm on its side stand is over my head a little bit :(

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Lower your bike! I went back and froth for 2 years before I bit the bullet, drop it equal lengths front and rear.
It shouldn't affect handling too much and you'll be too new to riding to miss the cornering clearance.
If you get good enough that you're grinding pegs, exhaust, engine cases etc. you need to hit the track.
I'm 5'7", 145, 30 inch inseam and I wasn't always comfortable on my bike, lowered the front and rear about an inch and a half, I'm way more confident on rough surfaces, moving the bike around while stopped, much less fatigued at the end of a 400-500 mile day.
Also sport bike seats are way wide for sliding around to hang off, look at street bikes and twins (SV's, 650r's ninja 500's, gs500's)
Much better to learn on.
Don't forget the adjustable kickstand.

Reactions: Ale Golem

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
You got 3 options, lower the bike (equal front and rear), shave the seat (some bikes already have this option in seats that are 1" lower), and get shoes with thicker soles. If you do all 3 no 1 will have to be as extreme. IE: lower the bike 1/2", shave the seat 1/2" and get riding boots with 1/2" thicker soles and you just added 1 1/2" to your legs. So it probably wouldn't be noticable you did anything to the bike.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm only about 5-8 and the only bikes I've ridden that I can put both feet flat on the ground are the "Low" harley sportsters. I demo rode a Super Tenere a while ago and could barely even swing a leg over it, bike seems to be sized for someone about 6'6" or taller. Coming to a stop I had to tip the bike to one side to get the toes of one foot down, not in the slightest comfortable to do. My Z1000 I can put both feet down with heels slightly lifted with stock seat and ride height, and that has a fairly typical seat height for sportbikes.

I'd agree, for a beginner being able to "flatfoot" the bike is a plus, helps with confidence and can prevent a silly accidental tip-over while maneuvering around a parking lot or something.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Feel your pain, Im about 5'6" and the only time I ever put feet flat was on a honda rebel in the MSF course and a low seat sportster. I started with a ninja 650 that I could have both feet down basically tip toeing. It was interesting at first, but luckily she was light enough to get a feel for.

I would say if you are going for something that you cant flat foot (ie basically any stock height sport bike), go with something light to learn on. It will be easier and more comfortable to meaneuver at low speeds, and you may even be able to catch ut if she starts to tip over on you at a stop.

After a while getting used to the 650, I have no problem now on my heavier (but about the same height) z1000, and have had little issue on the higher seat bikes I have had the pleasure of riding. Still wouldnt dare to ride a hypermotard or something-probably couldnt even throw a leg over:doh:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts