Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,as some of you know I purchased a 2005 R1 engine for a quad Im building. I know the gearing is different on those then the previous years so here is my question. Im going to have to get custom made sprockets (530 conversion)done to lower the gear ratio so Im not in first gear the entire time in the dunes and to push the torque and hp curves down but dont know exactly what sizes to get. On the 01 R1, I went with a 17 front, 54 back and it seemed okay but I havent taken it out as I ran out of time before I deployed. Im thinking maybe a 15 front, 58-62 back...Anyone have any idea??? Maybe a sprocket chart on how it much it will change the ratios? I want aggressive ratios.

Im also going to try and break the fastest quad record in the SoCal time trials (currently set @142.7 mph...I want to hit 160ish mph)at the local dry lake bed so I'll be getting different sprockets for that....

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
Just in thinking about what your doing, I would think that the stock front and +10 or so in the back. That would give plenty of bite but probably top out around 100 mph ?? Stockers would be like 17 & 42 or something. To get the top end you want your probably gonna go -a few in the rear at least ??

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
SICK DOOD. id say 53+ would be pretty good tops 60s id think that would make it a wheelie monster tho.

:metal:

i hope your wearing a streetbike helmet when you ride those crazy ass quads axis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should think about the size of the sprocket in relation to the size of the wheel/tire combo. If it's too big you could be dragging your chain through the sand. Just a thought.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
+1 thats why im sayin 50's should be good.

·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NME said:
You should think about the size of the sprocket in relation to the size of the wheel/tire combo. If it's too big you could be dragging your chain through the sand. Just a thought.
Ive already thought of that as well. The 01 has enough clearence but could use a skid plate. Running smaller tires on the 01 (8")then on the 05 (10" wheels).

Im going to fab up a wheelie bar just in case the 6" over stock swing arm cant handle.:D

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
Id make up for the rear sprocket size in the front as much as I could before goin huge in the rear..

+1 = -2 in the rear

Go with a 520 chain so it run's smaller, then you can gain more sprocket options and get a better gear ratio.

go up 1 or even 2 in the front if you can, and that'll give you 2 to 4 less teeth on the rear sprocket for better clearance with a stock ratio. Then you could go from there, if the stock gearing size is an issue

NME said:
I was thinkin that also.. if you keep the stock gearing and throw a set of quad tires on there itll be just like goin up 12-15 teeth in the rear sprocket because of the length of the rear wheel travel.. If you want low end you'll get low end lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts