Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I WRECK ALOT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my ex250 it has an awesome 9200rpm at 70mph thing goin on, i wat thinking about switching to a 33 tooth rear sprocket, stock it has a 45, then new sprocket will move it to 6750 rpm at 70. i am sure it will have enough torque, but anyways, my question is will i have to get a shorter chain? i put it here because i thought that all the stunt guys would know about gearing....:LolLolLolLol:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
stunt guys only know about going up in the rear and down in the front....not the opposite.

you wanna drop 12 teeth in the rear??? i dont know..sounds extreme! its gonna take you a lot longer to get up to 70 id guess.

·
I WRECK ALOT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only up to 20 in 1st gear, then id just be a gear lower while trying to accellerate i like highway riding, oh, and i have a smaller rear tire, so itll be like having only 10 teeth down. going up or down in teeth the chain thing still should work. same chain or not is the question!

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
You'd have to cut a shit load of links out of your chain. If that's what you decide to do, put the sprocket on, "install the chain" and mark where you need it cut.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
yes. you will need a shorter chain.

·
I WRECK ALOT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i just checkes, a 37 is the lowest the ex250 guys reccomend, that comes out to 10mph per 1000rpm in 6th and it will put 100mph at 10000rpm(peak torque) so ill have a higher top end (in theory)

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
bcc423 said:
how do i take links out? i have no idea
grinder!

im too tired to explain right now. i'll tell you tomorrow if no-one else does.

just dont want to give you a crappy explanation.

·
I WRECK ALOT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update... i put the 33t on there and dropping 12 teeth was too much haha, didnt have enough power to sustain 70 at 6000 rpm lol, so i dropped 1 tooth in the front to make it a 13-33 instead of 14-45 like stock. now its 7000 at 70mph it works. i ended up killin the chain to take it apart, seeing as i had no idea what i was doing. then picked up a master link from the shop and put it all back together!!

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
I would have suggested trying - 5 in the back and not mess with the front sprocket.

The way I do the chain is to just grind the rivits off the ends of one link, dicard that link and take it apart that way.

I don't like using master links so i borrow my buddys little press tool every time.

I Always save extra links from my chains all diff. sizes. You never know when you need links when messing with the gearing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts