Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Ebay PosterChild
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone tell me about sprockets and why having different tooth amounts matter and tell me what would you say would be a good combo for front and rear for in town driving?

i need a new set for project stunt fighter :rock: thats why i ask

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
basically....

changing the tooth count changes the rear wheel rpm for any given transmission output shaft rpm. it takes more power to pull tall gearing, so your acceleration will suffer, but (if you have the power to pull it) you'll gain speed at the very top end of the rev range.

and vise versa

with a shorter gear combo you'll get quicker acceleration. it's just like changing a pulley ratio if you were trying to lift something heavy with.. well, a pulley. take a 200 lb wieght and try to lift it with a rope over a small pulley vs a larger pulley, the amount of force it takes to lift it changes dramatically. but, if you apply the same force to a larger pulley as you would to a smaller pulley, it'll come up faster. in making the ratio shorter but still keeping the same hp, you make the bike wheelie alot easier. but, with shorter gearing you lose a bit of your outright top speed.

i never was really good at putting that into words, so i know someone has to be able to word it in a way that makes more sense, lol

it's a give and take thing. hardly anyone ever reaches thier ultimate top speed on the street very often, so the quicker acceleration you get from a shorter ratio is usually the way to go. makes the bike feel alot more powerfull. i run +5 rear/-1 front on my 954 and i can lift the front wheel at will, even without clutching it. hell, i can clutch it in 6th gear and it'll come up, but i don't really do the whole high speed wheelie thing any more. if your bike is still going to see street duty and not just going to be a lot rat, don't go too crazy with the gearing or you'll be running around at redline everywhere you go. even with my moderate gearing (for a stunt bike) i'm pretty high in the revs on the interstate, and i only get about 100-110 mile to a tank (!!). but damn it makes up for it when you snap the throttle open in the lower gears, HOLD ON!! :D

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
The different teeth represent a different amount of leverage applied by the crankshaft to the rear wheel..

The less teeth on the front, the more leverage. The more on the rear, more leverage.

More leverage means more acceleration, but it also means higher revs for the same speed... meaning less fuel mileage and top speed.

What is the stock number of teeth on your bike? The optimal number of teeth for different things is dependant on your bike's transmission, so give me an idea with how much your bike has stock.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
haelo said:
The different teeth represent a different amount of leverage applied by the crankshaft to the rear wheel..

The less teeth on the front, the more leverage. The more on the rear, more leverage.

More leverage means more acceleration, but it also means higher revs for the same speed... meaning less fuel mileage and top speed.

What is the stock number of teeth on your bike? The optimal number of teeth for different things is dependant on your bike's transmission, so give me an idea with how much your bike has stock.
yeah, what he said :D

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Usually, +1 or +2 in the back is enough for extra acceleration without sacrificing much of fuel mileage.

+3 in the back if you do only city riding but still want to be able to go distances on the highway without taking out a loan.

+4 +5 on the back if you don't care about highway mileage.

Any more than that and you approach unstreetable.

Going down 1 in the front is about equal to going up 2 1/2 or 3 in the back but going down on the front has been equated to quicker chain wear by a lot of people.

·
skr00zloose said:
i never was really good at putting that into words, so i know someone has to be able to word it in a way that makes more sense, lol
:D It's Me Me Meeeeee:LolLolLolLol:
OK stop spluttin in yer beer you cheeky Lil Barstuds.

Well Jesse, Skrooz 'n haelo got it all down there and theres not much more to add other than if you use guages your speedo will be out even more than the +10% on the standard gearing read-out.

There is a toy on the market called "SpeedoHealer" where you insert it in the wires from the pick-up and then tune out the discrepancy with the potentiometer incorporated in the unit.

See, I can do it! ;)

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Or you can use a front-wheel pickup speedometer that you can adjust in 10 seconds without a Speed-O-Healer or yellobox

·
hack
729 Posts
jesse, you ever own a ten speed bicycle? well its like that.....

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
when you say stunt fighter.... what do you mean??

lot killer or street stunna??

also whats your level of stunting skill??

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
It is just like how men like women. When the front is smaller (stomach) and the ass is bigger and rounder, you go faster to get her naked. When the front is bigger and as is flat and small, than you can take your time and let her personality take over before you see her naked.:confused:
I am no hard chiselled model, but just an analogy

·
Registered
340 Posts
well if the bike you are regearing is the F3 you won't have to worry about the speedo since it still drives off the front wheel.

As for gearing. If you never hit the highway and never go above 50 then you can go up to +20 on the rear. I did that with my F2. I had a max speed of 105 mph but for stunting and town riding it was a dream. Especially for stunting!!!

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
+20.... thats friggin funny.

with my fz I'm thinkin I'll be going +2

·
Ebay PosterChild
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i ended up buying 3 sprokets for like 28$ each of bike bandit so i'll have to play arounf with the different ratios

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
mrbodydrop said:
well if the bike you are regearing is the F3 you won't have to worry about the speedo since it still drives off the front wheel.

As for gearing. If you never hit the highway and never go above 50 then you can go up to +20 on the rear. I did that with my F2. I had a max speed of 105 mph but for stunting and town riding it was a dream. Especially for stunting!!!

+20??? daaaayum!! i bet that sprocket was almost as big around as the rim. my old f3 was +12 or so, and even that was huge. but'll agree with you about being fun around town!

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Here's +21 courtesy of Rick "Nasty" Payne

1 - 20 of 36 Posts