Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so currently my sprockets and chain have about 5000 miles on them. I've kept the chain adjusted and I don't really stunt except for the occasional front tire pop up so they're still in decent shape. I'm looking to get a little more torque and make it a little easier to wheelie but it's a street bike not a stunt bike. I'd like to find the best and cheapest way to do so. I don't really want to buy a whole set up and I won't buy a speedo healer just because I don't really care if it's right on. Maybe a +2 or 3 on the back?

Oh and it's a K1 GSXR 600

Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
Thought about doing a -1 but heard it wasn't good for chain wear plus that would require maybe a new chain? No clue honestly.
Lots of people run a 14 tooth fronts, including myself, with no issues. It might accelerate wear a little, but so will not cleaning and lubing your chain. You'll probably never notice.

How would a -1 compare on the rpms to a +2 or 3? Maybe I should just buy a chain too
Same result.

Use www.gearingcommander.com to give you some ideas and comparisons.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome. Good link. So a 14 tooth should give me some noticeable torque? Sorry these might be some noobie questions. I've rode a lot and would consider myself a good rider just never really messed with the mechanics beyond stock set ups.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
Down 1 in the front, 2-3 up in the rear is popular and doesn't seem to have any negative effects
It most certainly does.
Running higher rpms for any given speed. If the speedo isn't driven off the wheel it will be incorrect as well as loss of top end speed. And some people say it decreases fuel mileage from running higher rpms but I've yet to see that proven.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It most certainly does.
Running higher rpms for any given speed. If the speedo isn't driven off the wheel it will be incorrect as well as loss of top end speed. And some people say it decreases fuel mileage from running higher rpms but I've yet to see that proven.
Sorry I should have clarified- no negative mechanical effects- as in, wont make your bike go BOOM!!
I know a guy running 16/50 on his fz1 (stock is 17/45) and he lost about 6-8% on his mileage. But he attributes that to his riding style after the change.
His top speed went from 270ish to about 240km/hr, on the street that makes no real difference really.

The good news is that front tyre wear is minimised :rock:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I was riding for gas mileage I'd buy a 250 haha too bad back tires are the more expensive ones. Thanks for all the help guys. Now I just gotta find some sprockets to buy. Anyone know where to get the best buck for your bang?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Most bikes benefit from about a 5% increase in ratio from stock, this is typically a -1 front, or +2/3 rear. This usually doesn't hurt fuel economy much if at all, slightly improves acceleration, and often can give a boost in top speed by letting the engine spin up faster. The popular -1/+2 combo is a 10-12% change, gives a significant increase in acceleration, but will decrease top speed and knock 10-20 miles off your range.

I've had great luck with Supersprox gears and an EK x-ring chain on my Z. I've adjusted the chain maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 10k miles, the chain and sprox still look new. Clean/lube roughly every 500 miles with dupont teflon spray.

·
Quackenbush Qustom
585 Posts
i have been told do sprockets and chain together because that they "ware together" the idea is that they last longer if broken into one another from new. dont know how true this is cuz i dont do it. except on my dirt bike but it seens to just ruin chains an sprockets regardless.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Great info man. I think I might just do a plus 2 in the rear. How much will the life of my new sprocket be reduced if I keep my same chain?
Tough to say, though a loose/stretched chain definitely will wear the gears out quicker since the pin-pin distance is longer than it should be. This is why sprockets get "pointy" as they wear, the chain pins don't land right in the groove anymore and start rubbing on the edge of the teeth, wearing away material.

If your chain is fairly new, or well cared for and still tight I wouldn't worry, though if it's of unknown age/mileage or looks really nasty I'd probably replace it. Buy a quality chain, it'll save you money in the long run.

+2 gives a noticeable boost in acceleration without making the engine scream to go on the highway. I gained 3-400 rpm at 75mph going from 16/42 to 16/44

1 - 20 of 20 Posts