Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm probably not going to get much support around here on this one, but about square headlights:

I have a 200mm headlight, more commonly known as a 7"x6" (or ive seen H6054 for the car ones not sure if its different for the motorcycle specific ones) and I wanted a headlight with a non fluted lens. Looking at my headlight, its different than a car headlight of the same size because the motorcycle one has a few brackets on it for aiming.

Does anyone know of any headlights with non-fluted lenses that I can get with the brackets on the back?

Is there like an adapter ring/bezel type thing that will convert a typical car headlight to one with the brackets?

Are there any motorcycles with square headlights that dont use the kind of headlights that have the brackets on them so I can obtain one of their buckets?

Thanks for any help!

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Fabrication is your Friend. you might have to Fab something up using items commonly found in Home Depot ...

if not VTWIN Manufacturing has an online catalog with Square Headlights

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The backs of many of the headlights available dont seem like something i can weld to. Ive seen people suggest JB Welding brackets from another light onto a new light, but I dont like that idea. I wonder what those autopal ones are made out of.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Raybrig used to do a replacement headlamp unit for the ZRX which is a plain lense, however it is a plastic lense rather than glass, which means you can't run a decent wattage bulb. IE nothing higher than around 55 watts or so. The ZRX stock glass unit isn't too bad, available in large for the 11/12 (same as the GT/GPZ750) and smaller for the ZRX400 Japanese home market model, same as the GPZ/GT550.
The Suzuki GSX1100 Katana, the proper aircooled Katana not the oilcooled plastic travesty, also has a rectangular headlamp which is the same as one of the Japanese car units.
The Honda CBX750 used two small square units side by side which were reasonably clear.

Reactions: dieslowlyMF

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Do not try JB weld! Good for non-structural metal ... sucks for headlights!

Here is my prototype set up that I made for rectangular car headlights. Mine are 6x4 I think ... thought it would fit the proportions of my f4i a bit better. My first design was all sheet metal, but had no room for adjustment. This design uses theaded rod at all four corners for adjust-ability of the beam. Depending on interest, I might start replicating them to sell.

beginnings of shroud ... to be painted black later with special surprise upon completion of metalwork ...

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats pretty cool. Fairly simple and effective. However, if i'm sticking with the square, im sticking with the GPz fairing (or i might go ZRX, who knows) and those might be mutually exclusive.

I started to look at bezels for cars that had those headlights to see if i could hack one up to make a half decent mount for it, but i became bewildered. Too many cars.

·
The Polish Prince
947 Posts
To go with non-fluted lenses you'll have to track down a jap or euro market headlight, I think. Raybrig was offered up and is a jap solution. The problem with them is that they are set opposite with the beam concentration because the japs drive on the wrong side of the road. If you're state has an mc inspection that includes where the headlight aims it can be a pia. Not impossible, mind, as I have one on my zrx, just needs severe adjusting for inspection time. finding a continental euro light is the best way to go. Start cruising some german and french MC sites. Learn the french and german words for light/headlight and go to town.

edit: I see you're in fascist inspection PA like me.

Reactions: dieslowlyMF

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To go with non-fluted lenses you'll have to track down a jap or euro market headlight, I think. Raybrig was offered up and is a jap solution. The problem with them is that they are set opposite with the beam concentration because the japs drive on the wrong side of the road. If you're state has an mc inspection that includes where the headlight aims it can be a pia. Not impossible, mind, as I have one on my zrx, just needs severe adjusting for inspection time. finding a continental euro light is the best way to go. Start cruising some german and french MC sites. Learn the french and german words for light/headlight and go to town.

edit: I see you're in fascist inspection PA like me.
I see you are in philly. I used to live there for 5 years. I take the moto down every thursday night for a ride. PM me if you are interested.

I'll check out the german route. I cant imagine that will be as cheap as I would hope though.

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out the autopal headlight is steel on the back, so i can probably weld other brackets on and hopefully not destroy the chrome on the reflector, but dogmeatk, you got me thinking. If i can find real tiny angle i can just make the bezel/bracket/mounting thing ive been seeking. The back of the light is sealed pretty well and will be hidden by the fairing.

·
Registered
39 Posts

My GPZ550, with the front cowling off and Harley brackets holding the headlight on. The stock GPZ headlight housing has mounting bolts on either side, so it's pretty easy. Then the turn signals mount into the second or third, which is nice.

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My GPZ550, with the front cowling off and Harley brackets holding the headlight on. The stock GPZ headlight housing has mounting bolts on either side, so it's pretty easy. Then the turn signals mount into the second or third, which is nice.
I think you missed the point of the thread, I'm talking about the brackets on the reflector part of the headlight, not the housing

With tons of searching around, I found something that seems like it will work quite well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/kawasaki-ZR...cles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_3588wt_1163

Its called a diamond headlight and the title says it fits the ZRX1200 and GPZ900. the seller is tuning supplier

Its a headlight made for a ZRX that takes a normal 7x6 H4 headlight and has a frame to adapt it to the Kawasaki square headlight buckets.

In my research, it seems like each manufacturer that made a 7x6 rectangular headlight in the past had their own way of attaching it to the housing. Hondas mostly look the same and the Kawasakis look the same. That ZRX one would fit right into my GPZ 550 headlight.

Now my headlight housing is kinda ratty on the gpz, so now im looking at getting a newer, nicer kawasaki one. Give a mouse a cookie...

It would be nice to find the frame itself and not have to buy the headlight. I'll message the seller

·
Pinstriper4fun
763 Posts
Do not try JB weld! Good for non-structural metal ... sucks for headlights!

Here is my prototype set up that I made for rectangular car headlights. Mine are 6x4 I think ... thought it would fit the proportions of my f4i a bit better. My first design was all sheet metal, but had no room for adjustment. This design uses theaded rod at all four corners for adjust-ability of the beam. Depending on interest, I might start replicating them to sell.

beginnings of shroud ... to be painted black later with special surprise upon completion of metalwork ...

Looks awesome, thinking about trying a rectangle headlight so was looking for pictures of fighters with them.

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finished this project

I ended up welding on brackets and drilling and tapping a hole that mimicked the kawasaki headlight for the kawasaki housing i was using. It pretty much mimicked the pictures I posted above of the ebay headlight

I also made a little fairing for free. I think this is a vast improvement over my tiny round headlight. Hopefully light output will be better. I'll see tomorrow I guess.

If I had to do this again, I'd try to see if I could heat up the headlight and get the lens and reflector apart, then drill some through holes for small stainless screws to go through so you could screw brackets on and not weld them. As expected, welding had a small effect on the chrome plating underneath.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts