Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Customfighter
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GSXR 600 fighter! First big bike, first build!

A bit of history: I passed my bike licence in 07 and just been riding around on my Yamaha SR 125 since I passed. I then did my big bike test and felt the 125 was not powerful enough for me- 12hp just didn't cut it anymore after tasting the power of a big bike! So I went on a quest to find my new bike. I always passed this one house where I saw this bike just sitting on his front garden bit, never being used, in all sorts of crap weather! I thought, this will be my new bike! I wrote a note and slipped it in his door.. to cut a long story short- i ended up buying it, for £800!

The day I bought it:

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374242070.839222.jpg

It needed it's fluids changing, caliper rebuilds and a new footpeg/ gear lever with bracket! Got all that sorted out and rode the beauty for a few years! Not much changed except K&N air filter, iridium sparks and a new seat.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374242097.379797.jpg

So I've been around here lurking in the background for a while, getting ideas from all of you guys! Ever since I got my SRAD I've always wanted to make it my own, customise it ;) so I have finally decided to get on with it and fighter my SRAD!

My plan is to get rid of all the fairing, modify/ replace the subframe and get a monster seat unit fitted, despite it being a common mod! I have no access to welding/ cutting/ bending etc tools so this should be interesting!

Attachments

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
So what's the plan there's a few srad fighters here and a few people have worked out the kinks me included you need some solutions have alook arround
My srad has been arround now for 7 years and I'm still surprised i still love the old girl

·
Customfighter
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well your bike has proved to be inspiration for me hence the monster seat! But hey, lots to do still early days! Plan for now is to source a braced swingarm and USD forks!

Oh look, I've just won a swingarm! A GSXR 750 one with a dodgy paint job, but hey, it's only £24 inc delivery ;)

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374278524.175758.jpg

·
Customfighter
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Progress!! So today I got the swingarm in the post- quick delivery! This is the before view:

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374482855.412491.jpg

After:

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374482883.458558.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374482907.240590.jpg

And yep, I realise the rear hose is on the outside of the swingarm- didn't wanna have to bleed rear brake so put it where it is for now. After everything is done ill bleed both front and rear :)

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Just be careful....search for "Chinese levers caused crash" some people have had no issue, while others have had them not release the master cylinder, keeping the brake pads slightly pressed against the rotor. in a short amount of time this can heat up the brake fluid until it locks the brakes.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
really interested to see what you do here as a fellow srad owner... er at least it was to start with haha. check out my build thread and let me know if you have any questions about yours

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
dont get any of that Chinese crap. call crg and see if they have any clearance levers. i got a set for mine (08 gsxr 1000 levers) for 50 a pop.

·
Customfighter
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice guys will have a think about it as have also heard some good stuff about em. There'll nearly always be stuff that goes wrong sometimes tho right? Hmm.

Thanks Piester, I've followed your build thread- great job!

In other news:

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374610247.680765.jpg

Boom! Moving along swiftly now chaps! Hoping to get these on tomorrow! Looks like the stem is that of a newer bike tho, as well as with tapered bearings! This could confuse things as was looking for a normal SRAD 750 USD upgrade really! The distance between holes Is 210mm - is that right to slip straight into 750 SRAD top yoke? Still need to source a top yoke

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
youll need the tapered bearing cups as well. or swap your races and bearings onto the stem. ive seen a few srad generation 750 front ends that looked a bit different with the stem either looking like the 600 one or looking a bit tapered. both seem to be fine though. when i took my front end off it had a tapered stem like that (it was a 98/99 750 front end) and a friends was not tapered like that (96/97 750) maybe the carbed version wasnt the same? not sure though

·
Customfighter
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Little update since my last post! Bought this ducati tail unit off eBay ;) Think its from an M900, but not entirely sure!

That's what it'll look like.. well kinda. Just need to get a subframe made :) I've been making enquiries to some local places where I can get somewhere stuff fabricated!

What you guys think?

Attachments

·
Customfighter
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You may also notice the tail light I bought- off an SV650.

Rear view:

1375388874348.jpg

Temp wiring just to see it works:

1375388924683.jpg

And it does:

1375389012605.jpg

Gunna look awesome! Just thinking about headlights though, what do you guys think? Normal dominators or something a bit different?

·
Customfighter
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: GSXR 600 fighter! First big bike, first build!

So bought some indicators:

1375648803917.jpg

But then had to get a new relay as they are led ones!

1375648876718.jpg

Decided upon headlights too:

1375648951743.jpg

This will be what it looks like with indicators:

1375649015146.jpg

They work:

1375649110616.jpg

1 - 20 of 80 Posts