Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up, folks? I'm doing a frame fab and want to use a set of gsxr 600 forks that I bought cheap. Is it possible to buy just a neck tube that would work for these forks (like how you can buy generic chopper tubes) or am I stuck buying a neck that's has been sliced off a gsxr frame? I'd prefer to not have to do that,if possible, because I'd have to chop off a ton of steel to get it back down the simple tube I need.

If these can't be bought, does anyone have the dimensions for the neck so I can have one made?

Thanks,
-~Doc~-

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
you wont find a gsxr head tube in steel. you could make your own or find one that takes the same bearings you need. or find a steel frame that all ballz sells a conversion bearing to mount that gsxr front on and chop it apart

Reactions: MikeGyver

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, the gsxr frame is all aluminum? I didn't realize that. I'm more of a car guy so the sport bike world is new to me. OK, looks like I'll have to build something then.
Thanks!

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
youre welcome. if you have the cups for the bearings you could find steel tubing with an inside diameter that matches the outside diameter of the cups and then find another tube that has an outside diameter that is a hair under the inside diameter of the headtube. cut the smaller diameter tubing to the length you need so the cups are the right length apart, just make sure they are cut true on both ends. drill a few holes around the outer tube on the top, middle, and bottom. slide the smaller diameter tube into the bigger one and fill all those holes with weld. thats plug welding right? anyways dont weld the ends of the tubes at all. and bam you have a head tube that will fit the bearing races. did i explain that good enough? lol

Reactions: eatabullet

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you were prepared to do a stem swap there would be plenty of head stocks you could use

Almost all gs/gsx, 85-91 Gsxr used the same steering head bearings so if you could find a cheap steel frame from one of the above (obviously not gsxr) you could hack the headstock off and bobs your mothers brother.

I have a 91 m frame, picked up a gsxf lower triple for £10 off fleabay....pressed out the stem...job done.

May not be the cheapest option, but you know its going to be safe and work

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
youre welcome. if you have the cups for the bearings you could find steel tubing with an inside diameter that matches the outside diameter of the cups and then find another tube that has an outside diameter that is a hair under the inside diameter of the headtube. cut the smaller diameter tubing to the length you need so the cups are the right length apart, just make sure they are cut true on both ends. drill a few holes around the outer tube on the top, middle, and bottom. slide the smaller diameter tube into the bigger one and fill all those holes with weld. thats plug welding right? anyways dont weld the ends of the tubes at all. and bam you have a head tube that will fit the bearing races. did i explain that good enough? lol
Yeah a "plug" or "rosette" weld.
Ok cool, I have a friend with a metal lathe so maybe I can have him turn down a piece of steel rod for me.

Thanks again,

-~D~-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thanks for the help, everyone. I think making or having something made will be the best option for me. It would probably be cheaper than buying a frame. Most of the time, it seems like you end up paying a lot extra for frames or frame necks because you're purchasing the VIN and salvage title, but I don't think I'll need all that.

...or do I? Could someone maybe shed some light on that for me? In California, would it be easier to register the bike as a restored salvage using a GSXR VIN, or to register it as a scratch-fabricated vehicle?

-~D~-

·
Registered
65 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the help, everyone. I think making or having something made will be the best option for me. It would probably be cheaper than buying a frame. Most of the time, it seems like you end up paying a lot extra for frames or frame necks because you're purchasing the VIN and salvage title, but I don't think I'll need all that.

...or do I? Could someone maybe shed some light on that for me? In California, would it be easier to register the bike as a restored salvage using a GSXR VIN, or to register it as a scratch-fabricated vehicle?

-~D~-
Don't know your laws but if you built a 'new' bike would it not have to comply with todays emissions etc?

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Don't know your laws but if you built a 'new' bike would it not have to comply with todays emissions etc?
Often there is either an exemption for "experimental vehicles" or the law only applies to bikes that are sold, or some such. If you build it yourself, its never been sold...

California is an odd case. I know that Jesse James (or at least West Coast Choppers) got busted for selling bikes that violated the emissions rules, and that's part of why he shut the business down.

Datamancer - If you want to go the full legal route, what you are doing sounds exactly like what the CA SPCNS regs cover. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm
And yes, a smog check is required for that. Plus a lot of other bullshit you can avoid with a title. Even if the frame doesn't have a vin stamped on it. Is anybody actually gonna look?

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i have a title for a mercury sable you can have, i think they may catch on to that though :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts