Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Standard or funky?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

Just finishing up the exhaust placement on my bike and i thought i had it all figured out. Then i realized that i could do something a bit different with the exhaust. It is a little different, but i think i like it. However, before finalizing it i wanted your opinons.

i am looking for both aesthetic and practical opinions.

i just dont want to to go with the standard routing because "thats how it has always been done" but if there are serious concerns about the funky way, i want to hear them.

Here is the "standard" routing. playing it safe.

Here is the "funky" routing. the midpipe is not welded up to the header yet, it would need to be shortened before being welded.

thanks for looking

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
as long as it fits and slows well id say funky

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
Main concern I see with "funky" is you potentially have lots of road grime spraying off the wheel onto the hot muffler. Could cause corrosion, and almost certainly would cause some stank in the wet. The tradition "muffler next to tire" position avoids that. Then again, placing some barrier(s) between the two (swingarm fender, heat shield) should prevent that. Funky looks MUCH better, IMO. Also exposes a bit less of the muffler to your shoes / legs.

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Main concern I see with "funky" is you potentially have lots of road grime spraying off the wheel onto the hot muffler. Could cause corrosion, and almost certainly would cause some stank in the wet. The tradition "muffler next to tire" position avoids that. Then again, placing some barrier(s) between the two (swingarm fender, heat shield) should prevent that. Looks MUCH better, IMO.
i was thinking a heat shield incorporated into the mounting point would keep most of the grime off of it. i dont think this bike will be seeing much wet weather, but i hadnt even thought about the stank.

very good input thanks all!

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
Are you going to have any swingarm clearance issues? Looks pretty close.

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you going to have any swingarm clearance issues? Looks pretty close.
i might if i left it where it is exactly, but i am going to be making sure that i can extend all the way and still have room.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
Given your such a kick-ass welder, with that under-mount it might be cool to cut the muffler and spin the exit tip so the exhaust exits straight back, and the tip kinda wraps around the rear wheel. EDIT - hmm, maybe that's already possible without cuttting and you just need to rotate the pipe, or rated it the way it is for support / looks? Anyhow, that would be my preferred tip orientation.

Great to see the continued work, BTW! One of the things I love about that under-swinger muffler route is that it wouldn't work as well on a chain drive bike- nice way to play the oft-maligned shaft drive to some advantage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On aesthetics alone, definitely funky. I dont see many real practical issues that come up, especially if you weld up a sweet little heat shield.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts