Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll I've started the project. It started as a 94 with 99 fairings in Nissan Yellow. I've stripped off all the fairings, all brackets, and started the rewiring. First thing I made was a smaller bracket for the idle adjuster. Came out pretty nice. Redid the wiring for the fan and routed it cleaner. Next up is removing the upper triple and drilling it for the dirtbike bars with mounts (KX250) I found for $5 on ebay. I think I've found the clutch cable that should work best, from a 2002 CB900F. I'm going to use the clip-ons as the mount for the headlight. Then I will also make a flat plate that goes under the bar mounts and extends forward to hold the gauges. Should be about it to make it functional. Just have to sell off the stock parts to get the headlight I want. I'll try some more pictures this weekend.

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uh, no. Just simply no on the "banna". :) Only things left on it yellow are the tank, tail fairing and front fender. Going to be a clean, simple, bright and shinny fighter. And no, "sunshine" won't cut it either. ;)

Any other ideas on a name?

I've been thinking I might make some tail labels with "CB750F" on them to make people wonder just what the hell it really is.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
WELCOME TO THE SITE CYCLIC!

i dont have a name for ya yet...keep buildering. it'll come to you.

mbe if we see some naked pics of the beauty. and you tell us more about the project?!

:D

keep us posted. i love my arr arr's

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basic build, I guess you could call it. Head to tail go as follows:

Start with a cheapy headlight to run until I can get the 2008 KTM EXC-R headlight. Mounted to what used to be the clip-ons.

Extended cables/controls as per normal, on a KX250 handle bar on KX250 clamps, drilled triple (Ontario Mototech racing triple).

Factory tank, hidden re-routed wiring, and possibly a 905 cage or home build cage, 900 RR front seat recovered.

Eventualy a GSXR tail conversion.

As soon as I get the front 17" rim from my friend I'll get it mounted up also, but its not a critical piece. The headlight is shown below.

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,147 Posts
Mechanical Lemon Custard, Rhonda , the Honda,

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's some pics of the progress:

Front stripped -

The $5 ebay bars with brackets and walmart temporary headlights -

The first little bracket I made to hold the idle adjuster -

Have to do the family thing today, I'm another year older. So I guess I'll destroy the harness and redo it tommorrow after lunch. Going to take those clip-ons and turn them straight forward to make a bracket to hold the headlights. Lots of little details to work on this week. I'm thinking I'll also cut down the lower part of the fairing to make a chin spoiler, they are a little cracked above where I'm going to cut them anyway.

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sunday update: Got the basics done. Bars are mounted, wiring is complete, temp headlights work fine, brake system layed out, just nedd to finish up some brackets, get the new clutch cable, and bleed the front brakes.

Specifically, I need to make a bracket for the gauges, they sit almost perfectly right where I want them, just need to make a bracket to "fix" them in place. I'm taking my old cable down to the shop to make sure the ends and length I want is on a CB900F. The front barkes came out nice, could be better but I've only got $15 in the brakes, needs new copper gaskets and bleeding, a lot of bleeding.

After it functions and is rideable I will do a little detail work. Painting brackets, painting the bars, and possibly making a chin spoiler. Another thing in the future might be some smaller digital gauges.

What do you think of the clip ons turned into headlight brackets? The angle and placement worked really well and I can mount about anything on it in the future.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
With that tank/bar combo you could call it lemon/lime :D Or sprite...or rainbow brite...or just not name it. The name will come to you, that's not the important part :D

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think your right, it shall remain nameless. The bars are going to be yellow, silver or black. This is what you would call the mock-up. Make sure everything fits and functions before committing it to paint.

I can't wait for the money to get the KTM light, I think it will look killer once its yellow also.

·
296 Posts
Nice blade, you aren't really going to leave the dash / light like that tho I hope.

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will be getting the 2008 KTM EXC-R headlight set-up, this is what will get me down the road for now. Well the honda shop didn't have a cable that would fit so tommorrow I'l try the other shops.

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No one had a cable that was even close. I went ahead and ordered from motionpro. Should be here in about 7 days. I went and completely flushed the brake system, it was full of crap, glad I did it. I now have VERY firm brakes, much better than when I purchased the bike. Built, painted, and mounted a metal brace to hold the gauges. Then went and sliced the poo out of my finger. I actually had to stop working and go inside to play medic. Nothing major cut, but alot of bleeding. :LolLolLolLol:

Went to start her up and check all the wiring, pop, nothing!?! Mmmm rechecked all wiring, fuses and grounds- nada. Crap. So I pulled out the meter and REALLY checked it out carefully. Getting 12 volts to the harness, switch, and ect. But the lights, gauges and everything is dead. Battery reads 12.4 volts. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Had an idea, I took out the battery and ran an actual test light across it. Barely made a bulb element turn orange. Ah HAH!!!
Dead battery, :party-smiley:
Looks like the battery is dead under any load but reads 12 volts static.
Ran the battery charger to the battery terminals on the bike and bingo, evertything works and tests fine. I held off starting it until I have a new battery later this week.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts